Teacher Certification

Attaining your teaching license

The Department of Teacher Education offers degrees that qualify students for the following Arkansas Teaching Licenses:

  • Elementary Education, K-6
  • Secondary Education (7-12): Mathematics, English or Social Studies
  • Music Education, K-12
  • TESOL Endorsement (Teaching English to Students of Other Languages)
  • 3-4 year old Endorsement

The Department of Teacher Education offers degrees that qualify students for working with several groups:

  • PreK
  • Elementary Education
  • Secondary School Education
  • TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)

In the Fall of 2018, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) announced that John Brown University was one of 52 providers from 27 states and Puerto Rico to receive accreditation for their educator preparation program. According to CAEP president Dr. Christopher A. Koch "These institutions meet high standards so that their students receive an education that prepares them to succeed in a diverse range of classrooms after they graduate. Seeking CAEP Accreditation is a significant commitment on the part of an educator preparation provider."  http://caepnet.org, (202) 223-0077.

Successful completion of an Education program at John Brown University prepares the student for certification in the state of Arkansas. 

While the teacher education program at John Brown University fulfills Arkansas teacher licensure requirements, John Brown University does not guarantee nor can it confirm that programs that fulfill Arkansas teacher licensure requirements will satisfy the criteria of professional licensure boards in other states. Students interested in obtaining a teaching license in a state other than Arkansas, need to contact the appropriate licensing agency in the state where they expect to teach before beginning a course of study. Certification officials in the majority of the states automatically grant initial certification to graduates of CAEP-accredited Education programs. In addition, most states will grant initial certification to individuals certified in the state of Arkansas. Click here to see if the state you want to teach in has a reciprocity agreement:  NASDTEC Interstate Agreements for Teacher Licensure.