Applying for a Student Visa

To obtain a student visa to the United States, the applicant must first be able to demonstrate that he or she is a bona fide student qualified to pursue a full course of study. Students are "bona fide" when they submit their high school or college transcript as part of the application process. The applicant must also demonstrate that he or she is seeking to enter the United States temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study at an established academic institution.

If the applicant is admitted to the University and has filed credible documentary evidence that verifies readily available funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study, then he/she is issued a Form I-20. This form should be taken together with a passport to the nearest United States Consulate to apply for the F-1 student visa. An international student entering the United States must also present the I-20 form to the immigration inspector at the port of entry to the United States.

If you obtain a student visa by using an I-20 from a university other than John Brown University, you may be required to attend the other university for at least one academic term before being permitted to attend John Brown University.

For international students to maintain the F-1 student visa status with the United States government, they must enroll in and complete at least 12 hours of classes per semester.

Apply for your student entry visa at the U.S. Embassy or consulate in your country.

Take with you:

  • A valid passport (Canadian citizens do not need a visa)
  • Health clearance documents if necessary
  • Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 issued by John Brown University)
  • Proof of financial support
  • Any other document that could be useful (such as admissions letter and TOEFL score)
  • We also recommend that you contact the consular section and ask about the application procedures and fees.

Student visa information is also available on the U.S. Department of State website.