Immunization requirements

If you are taking face-to-face classes at JBU's main campus or a regional location, the state of Arkansas requires JBU to document that you have met the state’s immunization requirements.

Required immunizations

  • 2 doses of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)

Suggested immunizations

  • Meningitis
  • Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis)

Other requirements

Due to Arkansas State Law regarding Act 96 of 1913, John Brown University now requires all incoming students who were born or have lived for longer than six months in countries where Tuberculosis is endemic will have to have a TB blood test (IGRAs) either by a physician in the United States or at JBU prior to classes starting. The TB skin test is not acceptable per the Arkansas Department of Health. The cost of the test is $65 and the charges will be applied to the student’s account. You will be notified through the International Office if you are required to have the test or you may contact the school nurse for any questions at

Immunization records

If you are taking face-to-face classes at JBU's main campus or a regional location, you are required to submit immunization records from a healthcare provider to JBU before you may begin classes. 

What records are acceptable?

JBU accepts four types of records. The record must include the dates on which the immunizations were received.

  • A doctor’s record signed by the physician
  • School immunization records
  • Military immunization records
  • A record from the state health department

How should I send my records?

JBU prefers to receive records via Medicat.

JBU may also receive records via:

  • Email to Nurse Hostler (
  • Fax to (479) 524-1621
  • Postal mail to:
    JBU Health Services
    2000 W University Street
    Siloam Springs, AR 72761

When are my records due?

JBU prefers to receive records before your classes begin. However, you may submit records up to 30 days after classes begin.

Are there any exemptions?

There are possible exemptions to having to present a record of these immunizations. Those born prior to 1957 are automatically exempt. Students can also apply for a medical, religious or philosophical exemption from the Arkansas Department of Health. Forms may be requested by emailing The number to call for questions is (501) 661- 2169. This process must be done annually before the fall semester and the “letter of exemption” must be sent to JBU Health Services each year. There is a good deal of paperwork associated with these exemptions. Those filing for an exemption should ask the state to issue a letter stating that they are in process of filing for an exemption so that JBU can note that in their record until the exemption is official.

What happens if I don't submit my records?

Students who do not provide acceptable documentation of MMR immunization or exemption will have a hold placed on their account and will be unable to register for courses for future semesters until the records are received and approved.

I have questions. Who can help?

If you are a new incoming student, please contact your admissions counselor.

You may also contact the university nurse directly:

Rhonda Hostler