Golden Eagles Stun No. 7 OBU

Siloam Springs, Ark. (January 6, 2011) - The JBU men’s basketball team came out blazing hot on Thursday night, and knocked out seventh ranked Oklahoma Baptist 65-60 in Sooner Athletic Conference action.  With the win, JBU improves to 12-3 overall and 4-3 in the SAC.

Junior Adrian Miller had 16 points, five boards, and five assists to lead JBU in scoring for a second consecutive game.  Junior Andy Garcia was close to a double-double with 11 points and nine rebounds.  And sophomore Coleson Rakestraw put in 10.

Maurice Foster led OBU (11-3, 5-1) with a game high 19 points and five boards.  Kevin Swinton tossed in 11 before fouling out in the second half.

JBU jumped out of the gates and opened the game up on a 14-2 run before back to back buckets from OBU’s Swinton made it 14-6 with 12:59 left in the first half.  JBU stormed back with a 10-0 run after a pair of buckets from Miller, free-throws from Rakestraw, and an offensive rebound and put back by Garcia making it 24-6.

With 7:34 to go in the half, OBU found themselves in the largest hole of the night, down 27-9, after EJ McWoods hit a floater in the paint.  OBU wouldn’t go away, however, as Foster managed to cap off an OBU run and make it a single digit game after scoring at the 4:15 mark.  But JBU struck again, closing out the half on a 10-3 run to go into the locker rooms ahead 36-20. 

In the second half, four quick fouls put JBU on their heels and allowed OBU to gather some momentum.  The Bison used this to their advantage and went on a 15-4 run to come within five, 35-40, with 14:43 left.  But JBU regrouped and responded with a 7-0 run capped off by a lay in from Rakestraw, which made it 47-35 JBU with 9:21 remaining.

After a see-saw battle over the next seven minutes, OBU found themselves down by eight, 50-58, with 2:30 on the clock and began to press.  JBU managed to break the press and get to the foul line, but several missed free-throw attempts gave the Bison a window of opportunity. 

A three-pointer from OBU’s Emmanuel Wilson with 1:11 remaining cut JBU’s lead to two, 60-58.  And after a JBU turnover, OBU had a chance to tie or take the lead, but missed the shot and had to foul, sending McWoods to the line where he hit both to push it back to a four point game, 62-58. 

After another missed shot on their end, OBU was again forced to foul with time as their enemy.  JBU’s Thomas Galliguez hit one-of-two making it 63-58, but a bucket from Foster with nine seconds left pulled the Bison within three.  JBU got the ball inbounds, and the Bison fouled and sent McWoods back to the line where he was clutch sinking both free-throws with one second remaining to seal the victory.

For the game, JBU hit 51.1 percent (23-of-45) from the floor while holding the Bison to 36.8 percent (21-of-57).  JBU also dominated the glass 39-30.  The Bison managed to fight back into the game by forcing 24 JBU turnovers while committing only 15.  But foul trouble plagued the Bison for most of the night with three players fouling out.

Up next, the JBU men travel to Shawnee, Okla. to face St. Gregory’s on Saturday at 5 p.m.




Share via

Share Icon:Share on FacebookShare Icon:Email this PageShare Icon:Share on Twitter