Pair of Late Tallies Deny JBU First Win

Press Release Photo

FT. WAYNE, Ind. (August 30, 2014) -- Senior striker Ryan Duncan's first goal of the season gave the Golden Eagles (0-2) its first lead of the season, but late strikes by Saint Francis (Ind.) in the second half and overtime sent the Cougars to a 2-1 double-overtime victory.

"We got what we deserved today," admitted head coach Scott Marksberry. "We went up a goal, then we went up a man, and then we shut down mentally and tried to coast into the final whistle. We deserved to give up the first goal and go to extra time. Then we did not respond heading into overtime. Saint Francis buried their chances and deserved to beat us."

Duncan tallied the first goal of the season for JBU in the 60th minute off a pass from junior forward Zeke Zumbro. With the lead in hand, and USF earning a red card in the 82nd minute, the Golden Eagles looked poised to capture its first victory of the season.

Unfortunately, the Cougars scored the game-tying goal in the 88th minute when USF's Jason Walcutt buried a pass from Josh Underwood to knot the score at one. Despite holding a 14-3 shot advantage in the second half, JBU was forced to play extra time.

The Cougars out-shot John Brown 4-1 in the extra time, forcing freshman keeper Adam Holt (0-2) to make a pair of saves.

With the match reaching a conclusion, Mitchell Holloway ended JBU's hopes of a draw when he scored the game-winner from Alexis daSilva in the 109th minute of play.

The Golden Eagles held a 20-13 shooting advantage over Saint Francis, including a 8-6 margin in corner kicks.

Holt was tabbed with the loss for JBU, but made six saves. Brad Buzzard was forced into nine saves in the winning effort for USF.

John Brown returns to action in its home opener on Friday (Sept. 5). The Golden Eagles will host William Woods (Mo.) at Alumni Field at 7:30 p.m., the first game ever under the lights in Siloam Springs.

Share via

Share Icon:Share on FacebookShare Icon:Email this PageShare Icon:Share on Twitter