Student Financial Services Representative
Full-time position - Posted 8/5/2022
Assists in guiding students and families through the financial aid, billing, and collections processes from the initial FAFSA application stage to the completion of the student’s file. Provides effective communication, efficient administration, and the ability to multitask.
- Strong ability to create goodwill with staff, faculty, and student body; servant attitude
- Ability to complete work within short deadline periods in a fast-paced environment with varied responsibilities.
- Effective communicator who conveys appropriate content and tone while maintaining confidentiality and regulatory compliance.
- Commitment to the Articles of Faith, Mission, and Objectives of the University; and desires to be a role model for students by demonstrating an active Christian faith in personal example and in work-related responsibilities.
- Sets goals and objectives and accomplishes them without the need for frequent follow-up.
- Communicates with Traditional, Online Undergraduate, and Graduate program students and parents both in-person and by telephone regarding FAFSA, financial aid, and financial account concerns.
- Oversee Colleague (electronic processing) of FAFSA associated with Colleague software, including the verification process according to federal guidelines.
- Prepare student files for awarding (creating offer letters) and disbursement of aid to student accounts.
- Work with admissions counselors using Slate software to track incoming students from the inquiry stage to the accepted stage for financial aid purposes.
- Process outside scholarships received for Traditional, Online Undergraduate, and Graduate program students.
- Responsible for learning and implementing federal financial aid and student account regulations as set by the United States Department of Education.
- Oversee billing, deposit, refund, and payment schedule processes for all students.
- Overall meal plan billing processes.
- Monitor registration billing setup and billing results.
- Processing weekly refunds
- Perform borrower contact and other duties for administration of Perkins and JBU institution loan programs.
- Manage collection activities and communications for accounts receivable, including working with third-party collection agencies and systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential skills and experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Effective organization, attention to detail, and accuracy.
- Ability to receive constructive feedback.
- Willingness to engage in a positive collection process.
Preferred skills and experience:
- One or more years of office experience with responsibility.
- Knowledge and experience in account collections, financial customer service, or student financial aid processes.
Bachelor's degree preferred.
Reporting to this position
Physical demands and work environment
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk; stand; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
This is a safety Sensitive Position as defined by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This means that the employee's inability or impaired ability to perform job-related tasks could result in a direct threat to their safety and/or the safety of others.
The employee is expected to adhere to all University policies.
JBU desires to increase the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students to honor how all humans are created in the image of God, to reflect better the diversity of the Kingdom of God, to further our Christian commitment to justice, and to increase the quality of our educational experience. JBU is pursuing the goal of teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from ethnic minorities and women. For more information, visit our diversity webpage.
Information describing the university is available online.
Please complete the application and then upload it along with your resume and cover letter to the "Upload Your Documents" page. Only complete materials will be reviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by the university.
Office of Human Resources
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761