Attaining Your Teaching License

The Department of Teacher Education offers degrees that qualify students for the following Arkansas Teaching Licenses:

  • Elementary Education, K-6
  • Secondary Education (7-12): Mathematics, English or Social Studies
  • Music Education, K-12
  • TESOL Endorsement (Teaching English to Students of Other Languages)
  • 3-4 year old Endorsement

The Department of Teacher Education offers degrees that qualify students for working with several groups:

  • PreK
  • Elementary Education
  • Secondary School Education
  • TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)

The education preparation programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). On July 1, 2013 NCATE consolidated with the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) and formed the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) as the new accrediting body for educator preparation http://caepnet.org, (202) 223-0077.

Successful completion of an Education program at John Brown University prepares the student for certification in the state of Arkansas. 

While the teacher education program at John Brown University fulfills Arkansas teacher licensure requirements, John Brown University does not guarantee nor can it confirm that programs that fulfill Arkansas teacher licensure requirements will satisfy the criteria of professional licensure boards in other states. Students interested in obtaining a teaching license in a state other than Arkansas, need to contact the appropriate licensing agency in the state where they expect to teach before beginning a course of study. Certification officials in the majority of the states automatically grant initial certification to graduates of NCATE accredited Education programs. In addition, most states will grant initial certification to individuals certified in the state of Arkansas. Click here to see if the state you want to teach in has a reciprocity agreement:  NASDTEC Interstate Agreements for Teacher Licensur.