Student Counseling Center Policies


We understand that counseling is a very private matter, and we take seriously our responsibility to maintain confidentiality in counseling. Therefore, we do not confirm or deny who we see — your anonymity is maintained and we do not disclose anything that is said in a counseling session. There are two exceptions: in the case where child abuse or elder abuse needs to be reported and in the case where there is imminent threat of harm to yourself or someone else. It is also important that we ensure high standards of care. For this reason the Director of Counseling has access to client records and routinely consults with the other counselors. In addition, if a referral is needed, your counselor may provide relevant information. Any release of information about your counseling to any outside person or agency requires written permission from you.

Sometimes parents or professors contact us about a student they are concerned with. Our practice is to listen to these concerns but not to offer any information about our clients without their knowledge and written permission. Your counselor will talk with you if he or she feels that it is in your best interest to communicate with someone of support about your counseling. If, with your written permission, your counselor talks with others about your treatment, he or she will only discuss issues relevant to the person’s involvement with you, and will tell you when the conversation occurred and what was said.

Scope of Services

FAQ for prospective clients

Medical Leave Policy


ESA and Service Animal Policy

The JBU Student Counseling Center does not provide specific documentation supporting the need for animals associated with mental health treatment including service animals, psychiatric service dogs, emotional support animals or therapy animals. This includes:
- Prescriptions for an emotional support animal (ESA).
- Assessments for the purpose of determining disability and the need for a service animal as an accommodation.

The prescription of animals for mental health treatment generally requires that the client has been determined to be disabled by a psychiatric condition and that the animal is required in order for the individual to maintain adequate daily functioning. The assessment of disability and the need for accommodations of this type generally fall outside the scope of services that the JBU Student Counseling Center provides. Contact Office of Academic Assistance for information on documentation and accommodation.