Eligibility policy for off-campus housing

Research supports our belief that the residence life experience is a vital part of the students' development as a whole person (head, heart, hand). Therefore, all unmarried students who are enrolled for twelve (12) or more hours of academic credit are required to live in on-campus university housing. Those who are 22 years old prior to the beginning of the semester in which they would live off-campus are eligible to do so without application.

Students who are not yet 22 and wish to move off-campus must complete an application process and receive approval from the Student Development office. Students who wish to live with a parent or an approved relative, students who are married or plan to be married by the first day of classes, students who are at least 22 years of age by the first day of classes and part-time students do not need to complete this process, but must complete an off campus form and return to the Dean of Students (see link below).

Only qualified students should apply to live off-campus. Qualifications are:

  • Cumulative GPA is 2.5 or better
  • Student has lived in on-campus housing for six semesters.
  • Senior student has transferred to JBU after living on campus at another institution and has lived in JBU housing for a minimum of two semesters.

To begin the approval process, print the Off Campus Application, fill it out appropriately and return to Student Development (Watch campus publications for pick-up and due dates).

Many students wish to apply for both off-campus and on-campus housing in the event their off-campus application is not approved. This is permissible. Simply follow both procedures (including payment of the $100 deposit). As soon as you know where you will be living, please notify the Student Development office. If you are approved to move off-campus and do so, the $100 deposit will be refunded to you.

The Director of Residence Life will consider all applications concerning housing. Items that determine a student's eligibility include:

  • Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better
  • Clearance from the Financial Aid Office
  • A clean disciplinary history while at JBU
  • Two references (one from RD, one from adviser)

The Director of Residence Life will inform students via mail whether or not they have been approved.

Students who are approved must inform the Student Development Office by April 15 if they will be moving off-campus the following semester (After April 15, no student will be approved to move off-campus until the following semester when the approval process repeats itself).

Students who are not approved may submit a written request for special consideration by the Off-Campus Appeals Committee, which meets only once per semester. Reasons for special consideration must be included in the written request. Financial difficulties related to continuing as a full-time student are not considered as valid reason for exception. Further information about the process may be obtained in the Student Development Office.

Exceptions to the JBU residency requirement are:

  • 22 years of age or older by the first day of classes
  • Married by the first day of class
  • Living with parents
  • Living with an approved full-time staff or faculty member
  • Enrolled in less than 12 hours

If you meet one of the exceptions above, you will need to complete the Commuter Notification Form.