Frequently Asked Questions: Living on Campus

Residence Life

Who can help me?
There is a mature student who serves as the Resident Assistant (RA) on each floor. These students have been trained to help you in whatever way you need it, or at least to point you in the right direction. They are supervised by the Resident Director of the Hall.

How is spiritual growth actively promoted?
Other than three chapels a week and various other campus activities, your RA will put on events for the floor, including spiritual growth activities, and the RHA will also provide opportunities for you to learn and grow.

What is RHA?
RHA is the Residence Hall Association. Each hall has its own RHA to put on all-hall events that promote fellowship, growth, and fun times!

What is the Community Covenant?
The university community has developed four guiding principles that represent our core values. They are: Scripture, Integrity, Uniqueness, and Community. These four values shape the campus environment. Moreover, the university has also adopted prudential rules that are consistent with, but not required by, Scripture such as prohibiting the use of alcohol and tobacco.

The Location

Can I pick my roommate?
Yes! We only ask that it be a mutual request by both students. If you find a roommate at Early Registration, or by other means, both students should contact the residence life office to confirm the request.

How do I get to know a roommate I've never met?
We will provide you with contact information for your roommate by the middle of the summer. You can then get in touch with your roommate to start getting to know each other. Orientation provides a great opportunity for bonding, as does spending time in your room together once you've arrived at school. Your RA will put on hall activities to encourage community development on your hall/floor.

Do the residence halls close during the school year?
Yes, the halls are closed over Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. All students will need to make other arrangements during these times. However, halls do remain open during Fall Break and Easter. After graduation, all students will need to remove all of their personal belongings from the residence facilities.

Are there single rooms available?
Yes, there are a limited number of single rooms available. Preference is given to those students with the most credit hours.

Can I live off-campus?
John Brown University has a six-semester residency requirement. All single undergraduate students under the age of 22 are required to live on-campus with limited exceptions as covered in the student handbook.

Do you have married student housing?
Yes, there are housing facilities for married students in the West Twin Springs and Northslope apartments. 

The Room

What size of sheets should I buy?
We recommend the XL twin sheets. We do have a limited supply of 85-inch mattresses for those students over 6'4".

What are the dimensions of my room?
Room size varies based on dorms. 

What options do I have in arranging my room?
You and your roommate are free to arrange the furniture in a way that works best for you. There are many options! However, safety and potential damage to furniture should be kept in mind. Moreover, students cannot build any type of loft or platforms within their rooms. Also, there can be no modification to university-provided room furnishings.

What furniture is provided?
Beds, mattresses and mattress covers, desks, desk chairs and dressers are provided in all the residence halls. Some also have bookshelves and/or nightstands.

What do I need to bring?
You will need to bring your own bedding (XL twin sheets), towels, toiletries, laundry detergent, debit or credit card for laundry machines, white sticky-tac or 3M products for hanging posters and wall decorations, and a trash can. Many students also bring things like: a carpet, desk lamp, mini-fridge, electric kettle or Keurig machine and additional organizing containers.

What is NOT allowed in the residence hall rooms?
You may not have the following in your room: microwave, hot plates, candles, incense, toasters, halogen lamps, alcohol/smoking/drug-related items, posters of questionable content or firearms. Each residence has a kitchen with an oven, refrigerator and microwave

Can I decorate my room?
Yes! We encourage you to make your room your home-away-from-home. However, you may not paint the walls or use nails to hang things.  Also, due to the resurgence of bed bugs, we strongly discourage the use of second hand upholstered furniture or rugs (i.e.second-hand stores, garage sales, found along the road, etc.).

Other Services

Where do I eat?
The Kresge Dining Hall ("the Caf") is the primary on-campus eating facility. It is open from 7:00 am - 7:00 pm Monday through Friday. (https://www.jbu.edu/dining-services/) The California Café (the "Cali") is another convenient option located in the Walker Student Center where you can purchase anything from a hamburger to coffee to smoothies to candy.

What meal plans are available to me?
Residential students are required to have a meal plan. In the dorms, you can choose from a certain amount of scans into the Caf a week. You also have the option to upgrade for more funds on your card for California Café or Ground Floor Coffee. Students who live in the Townhouses or Northslope Apts also have the option of seven meals a week. Senior students living in the Townhouses and Northslope have additional options available as well. Non-residential students may choose to purchase a commuter meal plan.  


Where do I receive my mail?
We have our own JBU mail room where you can pick up mail and packages as well as sending mail via the major carriers. 

In The Residence Halls

What facilities are available in the residence hall?
Computer Lab
Soda Pop/Snack Machines
Prayer Closet
Large Public Lounge/Lobby
Kitchenette and/or Microwave
TV Lounge
Debit/Credit card-operated laundry facilities
Protected Bicycle Racks

Do you allow refrigerators in the hall?
Yes, students are permitted to have refrigerators 4.6 cubic ft. or smaller in the room. Full-size fridges are provided in the kitchen areas in each dorm.

What is the laundry situation?
All the residence halls have debit/credit card operated laundry facilities.

Can I have an overnight guest in my dorm room?
Yes, students are allowed to have overnight guests for up to three nights, but be sure your roommate (and RA) knows!

Are there kitchen facilities provided in the residence hall?
Yes, each dorm has at least one kitchen area, equipped with a refrigerator, stove, oven and microwave.

What about storage?
Students who live more than 500 miles away may store a limited amount in Residence Hall storage over the summer. There are a number of local storage units that offer special deals to JBU students.

Can I have pets in my dorm room?
Fish in small tanks are allowed. Other pets are not.