Degree Completion Commencement
Commencement Day Procedures
- All Graduates are to report to the Recreation Gymnasium in the Walton Lifetime Health Complex on the morning of Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 1:00 PM for instructions and processional lineup. Family and guests are not allowed in the Recreation Gymnasium. Please leave valuables such as purses, cell phones, keys, etc. with friends or family. The Recreation Gymnasium is not monitored or secured during the ceremony.
- Undergraduate students will wear their tassel on their right side and will move it to the left side during the ceremony when Dr. Pollard confers their degree with the words "and all rights, privileges and obligations."
- Men will remove their caps for the singing of the National Anthem, Invocation, Commencement Address, singing of the Alma Mater, and Benediction. Women will wear their caps at all times. Men will wear their caps during the processional, receiving their diploma on stage, and recessional.
- Students will stand for the Processional, National Anthem, Invocation, Conferring of Degrees, Alma Mater, and Benediction. Students will be seated during the special music and commencement address. Student/staff marshals will assist students during the processional, ceremony and recessional.
- When the Master of Ceremony requests the designated group of graduates to come to the platform, the first row will lead and the remaining rows will be seated. Students will approach the platform by division/program and hand their student card to their division chair/program director. One student will stand at the top of the stairs, the remaining students will wait at the bottom of the stairs - moving up one at a time once a name is read. Each row will approach the platform when there are three (3) students on the floor at the base of the steps (from the previous row). After the student's name, degree, and applicable honors are read, the student will proceed across the platform and receive their diploma (cover) from Dr. Pollard. . . receiving the diploma with their left hand and shaking hands with their right hand (right hand above left).
- After receiving the diploma (cover), exit the stage, stop for a picture, and then return to your row and be seated.
- To be considered an official May 2017 graduate, documentation of all work completed must be received in the Registrar's Office by May 19, 2017. Diplomas will be mailed by July 15, 2017. Please contact the Business Office to confirm that your account is in good standing as this may prevent your diploma/official transcript from being released.