Distance Learning State Regulation

Learn more about JBU's accreditation and state regulation

USDOE State Authorization Regulations Regarding Complaint Process

In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunities Act of 2008, institutions offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency as well as provide a listing of the individual state agencies responsible for complaints regarding out-of-state distance education programs.

Accordingly, if an issue cannot be resolved internally (see your Student Handbook for complaint procedures), you may file a complaint with your State by referring to the list of State Agencies in compliance with federal Department of Education regulations. You may also contact our accrediting agency, Higher Learning Commission (see below for email and phone information.)


John Brown University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, http://ncahigherlearningcommission.org, phone (800) 621-7440. The education preparation programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).  On July 1, 2013 NCATE consolidated with the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) and formed the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) as the new accrediting body for educator preparation http://caepnet.org, (202) 223-0077. The Bachelor of Science in Engineering Program, including electrical/computer, mechanical, or renewable energy concentration, is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, phone: (410) 347-7700, http://www.abet.org. John Brown University's Construction Management degree is accredited by the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE), http://www.acce-hq.org, phone (210) 495-6161. All bachelor's and master's degree programs of the Division of Business are accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), http://www.iacbe.org, phone (913) 631-3009. The United States Department of Justice has approved John Brown University for the education of foreign students.


















Google™ Translate: