Financial Aid Types

Learn more about loans, grants, scholarships and more...

Federal Financial Aid

Federal financial aid is available in the form of Pell grants and federal student loans. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible to receive maximum aid.

Have you already completed a FAFSA for another institution? Visit our Transferring Federal Aid page.

Federal Direct Student Loans

There are two types of federal student loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. The subsidized loan does not accrue interest while you are enrolled at least half time and is based on student need. The unsubsidized loan accrues interest while you are enrolled but is not based on student need. Depending on need, students may receive either type of loan, or a combination of the two. Students must be enrolled in at least six hours per semester to qualify for student loans.

For a federal subsidized student loan, the maximum annual loan amount is $5,500; with a lifetime aggregate limit is $23,000. Current fixed interest rate is 5.05% (for 2018-19).

For a federal unsubsidized student loan, the maximum annual loan amount is $12,500, less the amount of subsidized loan awarded. The lifetime aggregate loan limit for both combined is $57,500. Current fixed interest rate is 5.05% (for 2018-19).

Repayment of federal student loans is over a 10-year period and begins six months after ceasing half-time enrollment.

Federal Pell Grant

Apply by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Award: Up to $6,095 (2018-19)
Criteria: Financial need as determined by FAFSA

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) 

Apply by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Award: $100-$200 (limited funding available)
Criteria: Must be enrolled full-time with significant financial need (estimated family contribution on FAFSA must be zero)

State Financial Aid

Workforce Improvement Grant

Students who are Arkansas residents and complete a FAFSA may receive an Arkansas Workforce Improvement Grant (WIG) up to $2000. The state allots a limited amount of funds per institution per school year. Eligibility for this grant is based on several factors including, but not limited to: need (based on FAFSA), WIG administration guidelines, and availability of funds.

JBU's Financial Aid Office will automatically review your eligibility for WIG when you submit your FAFSA. Students eligible for this grant will see WIG packaged with federal aid within their financial aid award letter.

Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship

A limited number of Arkansas Academic Challenge scholarships in amounts up to $5,000 will be awarded to non-traditional students. There is no income requirement and recipients must be Arkansas residents and US citizens/lawful permanent residents. To apply, submit your FAFSA and a YOUniversal application before June 1. 

Arkansas Go! Grant

Arkansas GO! Grants are awarded based on financial need as well as other determining factors, and are intended to help low income students. The annual award amount is $1,000 for full-time students and $500 for part-time students. To apply, submit your FAFSA and a YOUniversal application before June 1. 

Alternative Student Loans

In some instances, students need (or prefer) to use alternative student loans rather than federal loans. Alternative student loans are based on personal credit.

Preferred Partners Award

Students and employees from designated academic partners are eligible to apply for partnership funds. Click here to find out if your community college or company is one of JBU's preferred partners. 

Single Parent Scholarship

Scholarships are awarded to eligible single parents who have primary custodial care of at least one minor child, live in Arkansas, and are current or future undergraduate students. Other criteria may apply and varies by county. For more information, visit the Arkansas Single Parents Scholarship website.

Tribal Scholarship

Native American and Tribal scholarships are available to qualified students. To learn more, contact your Tribe.

Veterans Benefits

Students who are eligible for Veterans benefits should complete the appropriate paperwork as early as possible. Contact your admissions representative for assistance.

Employer Assistance

Some companies offer partial- to full-tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. Check with your employer's HR department to see if you qualify.

Additional Resources:

These are a few of the many websites that provide students with free information about scholarships and financial aid. While we do not endorse any third party scholarship source, we advise against utilizing companies or organizations that require payment for financial assistance information or applications.

Google™ Translate: