JBU men advance to second round with record setting win

Press Release Photo
Adrian Miller scored 15 points in a 73-70 win over McKendree (Ill.) during round one of the NAIA National Tournament.

Kansas City, Mo. (March 17, 2010) - The Golden Eagles are still flying after upsetting eighth seeded McKendree (Ill.) 73-70 in overtime during first round action of the 73rd Annual Buffalo Funds NAIA Men’s Basketball National Tournament. With the win, JBU improves to 25-9 on the year, which ties a team record for most wins in a season set by the 1990-1991 JBU men’s squad.

Senior Davaughn Jackson paced JBU with 21 points and nine rebounds while sophomores Adrian Miller and Abel Galliguez finished with 15 and 12 points respectively.

JBU took the early lead out of the gates and maintained control through most of the first half leading 29-18 with 5:01 left. But with 4:14 to go, Sean Rakers sparked a 14-1 MCK run that gave the Bearcats the two point 32-30 lead heading into the locker rooms.

In the second half, JBU regained the lead after a Miller lay in and trey from Coleson Rakestraw. The Eagles continued their attack and pushed their lead back to eight (50-42) with 11:44 left before MCK responded with a 12-2 run capped off by a John Steppe three to give the Bearcats back a 54-52 lead.

After tying things up at 54, a Bearcat three from sophomore Karrington Pettiford forced JBU to play from behind the rest of the way.

With 54 seconds left, junior Andy Wolff gave MCK the six point advantage (67-61) after knocking down two free throws. With the clock as their enemy, the Golden Eagles maintained their composure closing out the game on a 7-1 run capped off by a game tying three from Galliguez in the corner with 21 seconds left in regulation. With the score knotted at 68, the Bearcats had two attempts come up short in the closing seconds as the game headed into overtime.

“We were in a tough spot and were fortunate to get the ball back after cutting it down to four,” said head coach Clark Sheehy. “We tried not to panic and play out of character and make an even bigger mistake in that situation.”

In overtime, both teams were feeling the effects of the previous 40 minute battle, but JBU struck first after Jackson scored inside. Senior Kenny Detmer tied things up on the other end at 70 with 1:40 left. But on JBU’s next possession, Jackson drew a shooting foul and banged home two clutch free-throws for the two point advantage. After a stop of the defensive end, the Golden Eagles were sent back to the line were Sam Bartlett went 1-of-2 for the 73-70 edge with nine seconds left. MCK had a clear look to tie but came up empty as time expired.

McKendree was led by junior forward Eric Hobbie who finished with 21 points and 15 boards. Detmer added 14, while Steppe tossed in 13. The Bearcats close out the year at 27-7.

Both teams were identical from the floor at 40.9%, but JBU lost the rebounding edge 47-39. JBU, however, forced 21 turnovers while committing 19.

The Eagles move on to the second round to face Fresno Pacific (Calif.) on Friday morning at 9 a.m. FPU (25-8) advanced by defeating ninth seeded Campbellsville (Ky.) 74-61.

Share via

Share Icon:Share on FacebookShare Icon:Email this PageShare Icon:Share on Twitter