For specific course requirements, detailed class descriptions and sample 4-year plans, visit the current JBU Catalog.
What Can I Expect?
- Complete Music Dept. audition process and be admitted into the degree program
- Participate in an ensemble each semester
- Attend various recitals on and off campus
- Complete music courses including:
- 6-8 semesters of private music lessons (piano or voice)
- 4 semesters of piano for vocalists or 2 semesters of voice for pianists
- 5 semesters of music theory, form, and arranging
- 3 semesters of musicianship (ear training)
- 3 semesters of music literature and history
- 2 semesters of conducting
- 1 semester of choral techniques
- 2 semesters of lyric diction
- 1 semester of vocal pedagogy and 1 additional semester of piano pedagogy for piano majors
- 1 semester of survey of instruments
- 2 semesters of music method courses – P-8, 7-12
- Perform a 30-minute senior recital
- Complete education courses dealing with technology, human growth and development, psychology, assessment and differentiated learning
- Complete an internship in 2 public school settings (elementary, middle, and/or high school)
Teacher Education Handbook
The current Teacher Education Handbook can be found here.