International Student Information

Important details you want to know!

Frequently Asked Questions

What are JBU's admissions requirements?  Application, two references, ACT or SAT score, high school transcript, TOEFL, and a 12 month financial statement.

How much does it cost to attend JBU? Here's our Costs page 

JBU International students must pay a $9000 deposit toward your JBU tuition which is fully refundable until the date of enrollment. If you have further questions, check You may also contact the I-901 Helpdesk at (US) 1-212-620-3418 or email a SEVIS Representative at 


What is the policy for working on or off-campus for International students?
Employment is defined by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services as “any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit.”  The student can engage in employment outside of campus only when specifically authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.  The International Programs Department will guide students regarding employment to ensure each student stays in legal status.

Curricular Practical Training information: Defining CPT & CPT_JBU Application

Can I learn English at JBU?   JBU does not offer a robust English program for students who are seeking to learn English.  International students who show proficiency in the English language (based on test scores and the application essay) may be placed in English classes (ESL I, II, and III) if they need limited English language support.   

When can I enter the USA?  Due to government regulations, students with an F-1 student visa status may enter the US 30 days prior to the start date of school. 

How should I get from the airport to JBU?  We recommend students fly in to XNA (Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport) which is 30 minutes from JBU campus and use a shuttle service to JBU for approximately $50.  Jim’s Express Shuttle (Email)  (Phone)1-479-205-0011

What are some lifestyle expectations for students?
As followers of Christ, there are four core principles (Scripture, Integrity, Uniqueness, and Community) that serve as guides for JBU's Community Covenant. We also have a Student Handbook for more details regarding lifestyle expectations at JBU.

Are there special programs for International Students?
Some examples are International/MK Orientation, Friendship Family Program, Council for International Friendship (CIF), and Mu Kappa. JBU also has a wide variety of student clubs

Where can I live?  J. Alvin, Mayfield, Walker, Hutcheson, Northslope Apartments, Townhouses. Check out Residence Life & Housing Information 

Return to Top

Forms for Studying in the US

Once a student has completed the application process and is accepted to JBU, we require the following documents:

  • International Student Financial Information Form
  • Copy of the identifying page of your passport
  • $9,000 International student deposit

Once the Admissions Office has received the above 3 items, JBU will issue the I-20 for you to apply for a student visa.  It is your responsibility to present all documents to the US Embassy or consulate nearest you to obtain a student visa. The I-20 is proof to the US Embassy that the student meets JBU's acceptance requirements and financial obligations. The I-20 does not guarantee the student an F-1 Student Visa.

What is an F-1 Student Visa?  An F-1 student has residence in a foreign country to which he or she plans to return and has come to the United States temporarily and solely for the purpose of attending college, university, seminary, conservatory, or other academic institution. 

How do I maintain F-1 status as a student?  You are responsible for your status and are subject to immigration laws imposed by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).  If you enter the United States as a student, you must maintain that status by enrolling in a minimum number of credit hours (12 hours for undergraduate students). Failure to maintain status will result in a loss of all F-1 benefits and may provide the INS grounds to begin deportation proceedings.

What is a Social Security Number?  A number assigned to eligible individuals by the Social Security Administration of the U.S. federal government, primarily so that they can file taxes and pay into the Social Security system. In general, non-citizens can only obtain Social Security numbers if they are authorized by the Citizenship and Immigration Services to work in the U.S. 

Who is eligible to receive Federal Student Aid and fill out a FAFSA?  To receive federal student aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number 
  • Be registered with Selective Service if you are male and 18 to 25 years of age (go to for more information).
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development Certificate or pass an exam approved by the U.S. Department of Education.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program at a school that participates in the federal student aid programs.
  • Not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study).
  • You must not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
  • You must demonstrate financial need (except for unsubsidized Stafford Loans).
  • Other requirements may apply. Contact your school’s financial aid office for more information.

What must I do if/when my passport or visa expires?
As an F-1 student, your passport must be renewed six months before its expiration date. Contact your home country's embassy for specific instructions. If your visa has expired and you plan to travel outside the US, you may need to return to your home country to apply for a new student visa. If your visa has expired and you have no plans to travel outside of the US, then it will not be necessary to obtain a new visa provided that you are maintaining your status as an international student.

Return to Top