Custodian - Days
Responsible for basic cleaning of specifically assigned areas of the University. Special tasks are assigned to promote and support a safe and pleasant learning environment for students, faculty, staff, and the public. Is self-motivated, thorough and a team player. (Day shift hours are 4:00 am to 12:30 pm, M - F.)
- Ability to create goodwill with staff, faculty, and students; servant attitude.
- Trustworthy; mechanical aptitude; willingness to accept training.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor and other crew members.
- Commitment to the Articles of Faith, Mission, and Objectives of the University; and desires to be a role model for students by demonstrating an active Christian faith in personal example and in work-related responsibilities.
- Meets regularly with the Coordinator of Custodial Services to determine activities to be performed and to set priorities.
- Routine care of specified area including vacuuming, dusting, picking up litter, cleaning marker boards, washing windows, cleaning restrooms and drinking fountains, remove graffiti.
- Periodic care of specified area including cleaning carpets, stripping and waxing floors, cleaning upholstery, and detail cleaning.
- Uses cleaning agents on an ongoing basis.
- Sets up for special events in specified area and helps in other areas.
- Maintains inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Follows a written work schedule and is flexible to hours or days that may vary for summer schedules, breaks in academic schedule, and holidays. Special events may also require alternate work schedules and some overtime will be required.
- Responds to need for emergency cleaning in specified area and other areas.
- Reports needed repairs to Facilities Services staff.
- Position requires working snow days.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential skills and experience
- Ability to communicate, coordinate, instruct, evaluate, use interpersonal skills, and negotiate.
- Ability to compare, analyze, compute, synthesize and compile.
- Ability to operate custodial equipment such as shampoo machines, vacuums, floor scrubbers, high-speed buffers, etc
- Knowledge of safe lifting procedures.
Preferred skills and experience
Prior knowledge of custodial equipment and supplies.
- High School or equivalent, vocational school, or equivalent on-the-job training preferred. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Reporting to this position
- No direct reports.
Physical demands and work environment
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to walk; stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop; kneel; crouch; crawl; talk; hear; lift and/or move up to 25 pounds solid or liquid. The employee must occasionally sit; climb; balance; taste; smell; lift and/or move 50 pounds or more; climb a 6-foot ladder. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Required to wear proper footwear, gloves, back belts or eyewear as job duties require.
Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is sometimes significant. Exposure to cleaning agents is ongoing.
The employee is expected to adhere to all University policies.
JBU desires to increase the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students to honor how all humans are created in the image of God, to reflect better the diversity of the Kingdom of God, to further our Christian commitment to justice, and to increase the quality of our educational experience. JBU is pursuing the goal of teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from ethnic minorities and women. For more information, visit our diversity webpage.
Information describing the university is available online.
Please complete the application and then upload it along with your resume and cover letter to the "Upload Your Documents" page. Only complete materials will be reviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by the university.
Office of Human Resources
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761