Graduate Assistant –Women’s Volleyball
Serves as an assistant coach of women’s volleyball. We are a NAIA program and a member of the Sooner Athletic Conference. Provides assistance to both the varsity volleyball head coach and the junior varsity head coach in practices and training sessions, games, conditioning, scouting opponents, recruiting, and film work. Responsible for assisting head coach in enforcing institutional, conference and NAIA regulations relevant to the JBU volleyball program. This is a graduate assistant position.
- Strong ability to create good will with staff, faculty, and students; servant attitude.
- Commitment to the Articles of Faith, Mission, and Objectives of the University; and desires to be a role model for students by demonstrating an active Christian faith in personal example and in work related responsibilities.
- Meet with individual players regularly for mentoring and assistance, engaging our student-athletes in shared conversations about their spiritual development, integration of their faith and discipleship.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and appropriately with student-athletes, parents, alumni, faculty, administrators, peers, community members, as well as recruits and their respective family members.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of highly skilled and academically-qualified student-athletes who desire a faith-based educational experience. Duties include off-campus recruitment trips on weekends during the off-season, assisting with recruit visit weekends hosted on campus, the regular communication with prospective recruits and their parents, and regular communication with high school and club coaches to solicit recruiting referrals and/or provide references for interested recruits.
- Utilize recruiting software to identify, evaluate, track and communicate with prospective student-athletes, parents, high school and club coaches.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of all training sessions including on-court sessions with the team and individual player sessions; strength and conditioning training sessions; and film sessions.
- Attend all practices, strength and conditioning sessions, team meetings and competitive matches.
- Be an active participant in all training sessions including running drills, spotting players during strength training, and providing instruction and corrective feedback.
- Assume primary responsibility for the equipment and facility preparation prior to the team’s training session or game day competition in conjunction with the team student managers.
- Assume primary responsibility for the security of all facilities used by the team and coach when the head coach is not present.
- Assist with the team’s travel preparations including team rooming assignments and meal planning on away match trips; pre –and post-match meal planning for home matches.
- Assist with film collection, exchange and breakdown of as a part of the team’s scouting preparations.
- Assist the head coach in hiring student managers for the team. Train and assist the student managers in the correct and accurate collection of statistical data and film from team training sessions as well as competitive matches. Train and assist the student managers in the proper care of equipment and laundering of team practice gear and uniforms.
- Assist with game day management at home matches by serving as the liaison for visiting teams, officials, and other personnel related to game day operations.
- Assist in maintaining all social media accounts.
- Obtain certification through JBU Campus Safety to drive 15 and 12-passenger full-size vans and other fleet vehicles.
- Possess a working knowledge of NAIA and SAC rules and regulations.
- Establish and keep regular, daily office hours in order to be able to meet with the head coach and players as needed.
- Be responsible for the conduct of student-athletes at all times including practices, matches, road trips, etc.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of community service opportunities.
- Assist in the planning, marketing and implementation of the annual Golden Eagle Volleyball Camp hosted on the campus of JBU in the summer plus any satellite volleyball camps. Remuneration will be based on actual participation in the camps and will be in addition to the stipend paid for the Graduate Assistant Coach position.
- Assist in any other duties, as assigned, by the head coach.
Essential skills and Experience
- Demonstrated successful collegiate playing experience.
- Good communication skills and administrative abilities
Bachelor’s Degree; applicant must gain acceptance to one of the graduate programs at John Brown University
Reporting to this position
No direct reports.
Physical demands and work environment
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely required to walk; stand; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. The employee must routinely lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment can be excessive.
The employee is expected to adhere to all University policies.
JBU desires to increase the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students to honor how all humans are created in the image of God, to reflect better the diversity of the Kingdom of God, to further our Christian commitment to justice, and to increase the quality of our educational experience. JBU is pursuing the goal of teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from ethnic minorities and women. For more information, visit our diversity webpage.
Information describing the university is available online.
Please complete the application and then upload it along with your resume and cover letter to the "Upload Your Documents" page. Only complete materials will be reviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by the university.
Office of Human Resources
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761