Dear Students,

Greetings from John Brown University! We are writing to let you know of two additional opportunities for financial assistance that we strongly encourage you to pursue.

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF)
First, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance from the federal government. HEERF III, authorized by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 and passed by the federal government, provides emergency assistance to college students.

Financial assistance for students may be used for any component of the student’s cost of attendance. It may also be used for emergency costs due to COVID-19, such as tuition, fees, past-due balance, housing, food, books and health care.

The only requirement for eligibility is that you are currently enrolled as a traditional undergraduate, online undergraduate or graduate student.

HEERF III is a new round of funding. Even if you received emergency funds from prior requests, you are still eligible, but you must file a new request.

To receive funds, each student must fill out an Emergency Funds Request at (Students are required to sign in using their JBU username and password for security reasons.)

Fund requests are due by October 1 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The review process will take approximately two to three weeks. Once a determination is made, you can expect funding within 10 to 14 days.

To apply funding directly to tuition and fees, students must give JBU permission to disburse funds accordingly by checking the box on the Emergency Funds Request form.

The Business Office also recommends that you enroll in direct deposit by searching for Banking on EagleNet. Select Employee & Student Self Service > Banking Information > Refunds and Reimbursements > View All.

Professional Judgment
If any of the following circumstances apply to you or a member of your family, you might qualify for an adjustment known as a professional judgment:

  • Job loss
  • Reduction of pay
  • Medical expenses
  • Death in the immediate family

An adjustment of this kind could qualify you for additional financial aid. To begin the process, please be sure to file the 2021-2022 FAFSA at and then contact our professional judgment specialist (Marilae Latham) at

A professional judgment on your FAFSA is NOT required to receive HEERF emergency funds.

A list of frequently asked questions is here. If you have additional questions, please email David Burney, director of financial aid, and his team will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to seeing you again this fall.


Kimberly M. Hadley
Vice President for Finance and Administration