Types of Aid

Financial assistance available to qualified students

Down Arrow Icon


Several types of financial aid are available for graduate students who qualify, including loans, scholarships and fellowships. 

Community Partnerships

John Brown University has partnered with organizations to help employees looking to further their education. Employees of these organizations may be eligible to receive an annual tuition scholarship.

Employer Reimbursement

Many employers offer reimbursement to employees who pursue higher education. Please contact your employer to find out about benefits offered.




Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan

  • Awarded to US citizens or eligible non-citizens who file a FAFSA (JBU's school code is 001100)
  • Requires at least half-time enrollment (three hours per semester) in a degree program
  • Up to $20,500 per academic year
  • Aggregate limit of $138,500
  • Deferred while in school
  • 5.28% interest rate for the 2021-2022 financial aid year (yearly interest rates depend on the value of the treasury note)
  • Origination fee of 1.057% on the principle loan amount
  • Repayment begins six months after ceasing to be enrolled at least half-time

JBU strongly recommends borrowing only for the cost of the graduate program.

Alternative Loans

JBU recommends borrowing only for the cost of the graduate program. If a student needs additional financial aid, however, the student may request an alternative loan by following the steps listed on the alternative loan web page.



JBU Graduate Scholarships

Graduate Business Scholarship
The Graduate Business Scholarship is designed to recognize an entering student in the field of business who shows strong vision and potential for using their education to create positive impact. For more information or to apply, visit the Graduate Business Scholarship webpage.

Graduate Diversity Scholarships
The Graduate School offers scholarships to students who will increase program diversity and strengthen service to various cultural communities. For more information or to apply, visit Graduate Diversity Scholarships.

John V. Carmack Graduate Counseling Scholarship
The John V. Carmack Graduate Counseling Scholarship is named in honor of Professor Emeritus John V. Carmack, who served as director of graduate counseling programs at JBU from 2001 to 2017. The Carmack Scholarship is designed to recognize an entering student in the MS in Marriage and Family Therapy program who represents the values of the honoree. More information is found on the John V Carmack Scholarship webpage.



Teacher Education Grants

Teacher Opportunity Program (TOP)
The Arkansas Department of Higher Education provides tuition reimbursement to Arkansas teachers or administrators for up to six credit hours per year, not to exceed $3,000. Apply online before June 1. Find more information here.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
The US Department of Education provides grants to students who commit to teach for at least four years in a high-need field after graduation. Students must maintain at least a 3.25 GPA to receive and retain this scholarship. For more information, visit the StudentAid.gov website.



Other Graduate Scholarships

Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund
The Single Parent Scholarship Fund (SPSF) awards scholarships to low-income single parents pursuing post-secondary education in preparation for skilled employment. To apply for a scholarship or to get involved, contact your local SPSF affiliate.

Native American Scholarships
Please contact your tribe to find out about educational benefits available.

Other Scholarships
In your community, inquire about scholarships available from your local Chamber of Commerce, church, civic groups, library, etc.

Apply for scholarships free online at the following websites:

The government has established a website that includes information on colleges and financial aid for Americans with disabilities - www.disability.gov.

Research scholarships for minority students via the following websites:

Discover more about Study Abroad Scholarships via www.gooverseas.com.



JBU Assistantships and Fellowships

JBU offers a limited number of graduate assistantships and/or fellowships are each academic year. Accepted students should submit applications to their graduate department by the date specified. For more information, please visit the Fellowships and Assistantships webpage.