Graduate Counseling – A Challenging Path to a Career of Caring

Monday, October 14, 2013

I don’t know about you, but I’ve become dependent on electronic devices to get me where I need to go. Oh, I can read a map and I know my well-traveled routes, but more and more I depend on Google Maps or Siri or Tom-Tom or some other virtual guide to get me from “here” to “there.” The guides don’t always agree with each other – some take the shortest route, some avoid toll roads, some keep you on the multi-lane highways. Easy drives and challenging drives. Multiple paths, all to the same destination.
The path to becoming a licensed counselor in Arkansas requires you to complete a master’s degree in a program approved by the Arkansas Board of Examiners in Counseling (ARBOEC). All graduate programs in counseling at John Brown University have received that approval – MS degrees in marriage and family therapy, community counseling, and school counseling and the post-graduate certificate in play therapy. They were developed and are maintained by faculty who have traveled that road ahead of you – licensed counselors with terminal degrees and years of experience in the practice and teaching of counseling. The path is well known to them, and they will be your guide as you travel.
There are routing options – you can take roads to become a school counselor, a licensed professional counselor, a marriage and family therapist or a play therapist – but there are no easy paths.  Your JBU faculty will help you avoid road blocks, detours, dead ends and bottlenecks along the route, but it remains a challenging journey. Once you arrive, you will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to become a bridge of healing and hope to those who travel to you for care.
If you want a career of caring, the destination is worth the trip. Come travel with us.
Dr Richard Ellis

Dr. Richard Ellis
Dean of the Graduate School

Blog HomePosted By: Dr. Richard Ellis - 10/14/13 11:54 AM

Google™ Translate: