Graduate Student Guide - Academic Policies

Down Arrow Icon

Academic Policies & Procedures

Enrollment Status

  • Graduate students are considered full time at six (6) or more hours and part time at fewer than six (6) hours.
  • Graduate students who are allowed to register with an incomplete file (accepted pending or accepted lacking) must complete the admission process including submitting all references, transcripts, and test scores no later than the end of their first semester or summer session of classes. Students who fail to complete the admission process become ineligible to register for the following semester.
  • Students must notify their advisor and the appropriate department (Business, Counseling, Cybersecurity, Education or Higher Education) when any change is made to their enrollment status (i.e. add a class, drop a class, change a section, address, email, phone, etc.)

Online Registration

Students will be notified of online registration dates by emails sent from the registrar’s office.

Students should first discuss their course selections with their advisor before registering. 

If students have technical questions or problems, they should contact JBU’s Help Desk at 479-524-7256 or  For advising, students should contact the office of their graduate program department.

See Academic Policies in the Graduate Catalog for more detailed policy information Graduate Catalog

Quality Standards for Continuance in Graduate Programs

  • A student admitted under regular status whose cumulative graduate grade point average falls below 3.00 is automatically placed on probationary status. Failure to raise cumulative GPA to a 3.00 can result in dismissal from the University.
  • A cumulative GPA of 3.0 based on all graduate courses completed in the respective discipline is required for graduation.
  • Suspension Policy: A graduate student who earns a grade point average below 1.50 for an individual semester will be placed on suspension at the end of that semester.  The student will be required to petition to the Graduate Scholastic Appeals Committee in order to continue.  The suspension is imposed regardless of the student's cumulative grade point average.

Coursework and Requirements

  • A grade of “C” is the minimum passing grade for graduate credit (except for Graduate Counseling students, see below*); however, the maximum number of credit hours of 'C' or 'C+' grades that may be applied toward a master's degree is nine (9) semester hours or 25% of the hours required for a degree, whichever is less. Grades of “C-” or lower will not count toward degree completion.
  • *The grade of B- is the minimum passing grade for graduate credit in Graduate Counseling degree program courses; courses in which the student earned a grade of C+ or lower cannot be applied toward a Graduate Counseling degree and must be repeated.
  • All prerequisites listed for a specific course must be taken prior to that course unless approved in advance by the program director.

Transfer Credit Policy

  • Students who have taken graduate courses at other universities may be allowed to transfer some of their previous courses into their JBU program.  Students may transfer up to 25% of the degree program toward fulfillment of a graduate degree.
  • No grade below a “B-” may be transferred into a graduate degree program at JBU.
  • Grades from transfer credits are not included in the calculation of the JBU grade point average.
  • Correspondence credit/coursework is not applicable towards a master’s degree at JBU.

Adding and Dropping Courses

Students register for graduate courses during the official registration time periods. Students may not register for courses after the close of the late registration time period.  Course registrations completed during the late registration period are subject to a late fee.

Courses dropped by the approved procedure before the end of the first week of classes will not appear on the permanent record.

Courses dropped after the first week but before the end of the 8th week for semester courses, or the 4th week for half-semester courses, will receive a grade of ‘W.’  Non-completion of a course thereafter will result in a letter grade based upon the student’s performance relative to the required work for the entire course.

See the official calendar in the Graduate Catalog for specific dates.


Graduate students who withdraw from the university or drop a course may be entitled to a partial refund of that term's tuition.  The percentage of refund is determined by the official date of withdrawal, according to the schedules found in the Graduate catalog.  Click here for a link to that information: Graduate Programs Refund Policy                                                           

Crisis Alert System and Class Cancellations

John Brown University has implemented a Crisis Alert System that can notify students with time-sensitive information during unforeseen events or emergencies and provide details on appropriate response, using voice, email, and text messaging.  It is important for students to sign-up to receive these alerts. Login to your Eaglenet account and find the Crisis Alert sign-up under "My Eaglenet Resources."

If a particular class has been cancelled due to an emergency or inclement weather, the instructor will make an announcement through JBU email or Blackboard.  Students should always check their JBU email account.


A student who misses 50% or more of scheduled contact time for any course will not receive credit for that course. The instructor, at his or her discretion, may impose a penalty for any absence and/or require compensatory work for some absences.

Substantial tardiness, as well as missing an entire class session, may be charged against the 50% limit.

Non-Attendance Resulting in Withdrawal

Except in the case of extenuating circumstances, students who do not attend any class for ten consecutive days may be withdrawn from John Brown University for non-attendance. It is the responsibility of the student to contact instructors, advisor, registrar, business office, and financial aid office if extenuating circumstances exist. If the withdrawal occurs before the mid-point of the term, students will receive a grade of “W.” Students will have a grade of “F” (failure) if they are withdrawn after the mid-point of the term.

Readmission - One Year Grace Period

There is a one year grace period for an accepted student to register for classes. After the one year period has passed and the student has not registered for class, the student will need to follow the standard admissions process by submitting a new application and any new documentation that may be required. The application fee is waived.

Enrolled students who drop also have one year to return and register for class or they will need to submit a new application and go through the readmission process. 

One year is defined as non-enrollment for three consecutive semesters.

Additional Master's Degree (after conferral of degree)

A student desiring to begin an additional master's degree at JBU, after having one or more master's degrees conferred by JBU, must apply through the admissions process. The program department head reserves the right to require additional documents, references or an interview.

For policy regarding multiple degrees, please refer the section regarding additional master's degrees in the online Graduate Catalog.

Statement on Academic Integrity

As a Christian institution of higher education, John Brown University seeks to maintain the highest standards of academic integrity. Violations of these standards will result in substantial penalties. Violations and their definitions are as follows:

1.   Plagiarism: Submitting as part or all of one’s own work material that is copied or paraphrased from another source, including on-line sources, without the proper acknowledgement of that source. Examples include: failing to cite a reference, failing to use quotation marks where appropriate, misrepresenting another's work as your own, etc.

2.  Cheating: Using unauthorized material or study aides for assistance on examinations or other academic work. Examples include: looking at a peer’s exam, altering a graded exam, using notes without permission, etc.

3.  Fabrication: Submitting altered or contrived information in any academic assignment. Examples include: falsifying data, text material, or sources.

4.  Facilitating academic dishonesty: Helping another student violate this policy. Examples include: allowing one’s work to be copied, working together on an assignment where collaboration is not allowed, doing work for another student.

However, the primary responsibility for knowledge of and compliance with this policy rests with the student.

Faculty Action Regarding Violations of Academic Integrity

All violations of the academic integrity policy will be reported to the Dean, who will maintain a file on student offenses.

  • First offense: In the first case of dishonesty, the faculty member will normally give the student a zero for the assignment or test on which the student has been dishonest. Faculty members are free to impose more severe penalties if such penalties are announced in the course syllabus.
  • Second offense: A second violation of the integrity policy in the same course or any other course will result in an "F" in the course.
  • Third offense: Any further violations of the integrity policy may result in suspension or dismissal from the university

Appeals: A student who can provide specific reasons that he/she has been unjustly accused may appeal to the College Dean by sending an email including a well-written appeal letter with specific facts and any documentation available. Final appeals will be handled by the All-Campus Judiciary Committee which includes a graduate faculty member as well as graduate student representative.

Grades, Degrees, and Graduation

  • Graduate students must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher to graduate with a master’s degree. Cumulative GPA is based on all graduate courses completed at John Brown University in the respective discipline.
  • Grades are processed by the Registrar’s office. No hard copies are distributed unless specifically requested through the Registrar’s office. Graduate students can access their registration and grade information through their Eaglenet  account.  Students can contact the Help Desk at  if they experience difficulty with their Eaglenet account.
  • Review the Grading System for graduate level courses online at Grading System
  • Master’s degrees are posted following the semester or summer session in which all degree requirements have been met. The Registrar’s office posts the master’s degree on the transcript, processes transcripts and the official degree. The first transcript is issued without charge; there is a $5.00 charge for each one sent thereafter.
  • To participate in commencement, all coursework requirements must be completed.
  • Master's students will order their own regalia. For more commencement information, go to: JBU Commencement 
  • Please direct enrollment or grade inquiries to the Registrar’s office at or (479) 524-7158.


Commencement is held in December and May.  Two months prior to the intended completion date, each candidate must complete an online Application for Graduation.  Students will be prompted to complete the Graduation Application online when they are pre-registering for their final semester.  A graduation fee of $35 will be charged to the candidate’s account without regard to commencement participation.  Participation in the ceremony incurs an additional charge for regalia. Regalia can be purchased through the campus bookstore. Degree candidates may participate in commencement only upon completion of all graduation requirements. JBU Commencement

Eligibility to participate in commencement is limited to the commencement at the end of the student’s final semester in attendance or the commencement at the end of the following semester.  Furthermore, participation eligibility is based upon compliance with all of the deadlines posted on the JBU commencement web site.

Academic Grievance Process

  • Student complaints about a faculty person should be discussed first with that faculty person.
  • If talking with the faculty person fails to bring resolution, the student may meet with the appropriate college dean or department chair and present a concise, well thought out, written statement of the problem and the desired resolution.
  • The college dean or department chair will offer to meet with the student and the faculty person in question. If the student is unwilling to attend such a meeting, the college dean or department chair is at liberty to dismiss the complaint at that point. If the student consents to the meeting, then the college dean or the department chair will be responsible for documenting the proceedings and outcome of the meeting in writing.
  • The accused faculty person or the aggrieved student may request a second meeting within seven days to which both the faculty person and the student, within limits set by the department chair, may invite colleagues and students. Written documentation of the proceedings and outcome of this second meeting is the college dean or department chair's responsibility as well.
  • If the problem is still not resolved to the satisfaction of either party, an appeal may be made to the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration.
  • Occasionally a student may wish to appeal to an academic action such as a grade, graduation requirement or a withdrawal penalty. Such appeals should be made in writing to the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration.  In most cases, the student should first request the support of his or her college dean or department chair.

Back to Graduate Student Guide Table of Contents.