Key Requests 

Access will only be given to areas where need can be demonstrated. All requests for keys must be made in writing or email and must include justifications for access into each area for which a key is requested.

1. Process to Obtain a Key
Send key request by email to the Director of Facilities Services along with appropriate approval (see table below). If the request and approval is in order, the key will be issued from the Central Heating Plant.

2. Key Levels and Approval Required
Key levels are identified as the following:

Key Level

Key Issuance Approval Required of

Grand Master

V.P. for Student Development

Building Master

V.P. for Student Development

Building Sub-Master

Senior Leader for area

Individual Keys

Department Head

Adjunct/Part Time Instructor

V.P. for Academics

Resident Directors

Dean of Students

Residence Room Keys

Resident Director

Contracted Services

Director of Facilities Services

Conference Keys

Camp Director

3. Process to Return a Key

All keys issued to an employee or student are property of John Brown University and must be returned to the Director of Facilities Services. Keys no longer in use should be returned to the Director of Facilities Services. Keys should never be given or loaned to another person. Keys that have been issued to an individual are that individual’s responsibility.

Lost/Stolen Keys
Any person who lost a key must notify the Director of Facilities Services immediately to ensure against compromise of the system.

Vehicle Requests

Quick Links

Reservation Information

Please refer to this information when you have questions about vehicle reservations. If you have additional questions or need clarification about any of our Facilities Services, call Suzie Wisdom at ext. 7198.

  • JBU Vehicle refers to any vehicle owned or rented by John Brown University for transportation purposes requested through the JBU Facilities Services Division.
  • All JBU fleet vehicles are located at the Facilities Services Building (FSB) parking lot, which is located at 900 Anderson Avenue.
  • JBU vehicles have been purchased for the general business travel (not personal or pleasure) of JBU employees. 
  • Department accounts will be charged for JBU vehicles, 40 cents per mile for Priuses, 43 for Camrys, 52 for mini vans, and 58 for 12 and 15-passenger vans. This includes the cost of fuel. Mileage rates may change to reflect the changes in fuel costs.
  • If a JBU vehicle is not available and a rental vehicle is not used while on JBU business, drivers may use a personal vehicle and be reimbursed by department at the approved IRS rate to cover gas and wear on the vehicle. In this case, the driver must carry automobile insurance as required by law.
  • If a JBU vehicle is not available for an employee for JBU business travel and the employee chooses to use a rental, Facilities Services may arrange for a rental vehicle. Drivers are responsible for the pickup and return of rented vehicles. The department will be charged the actual cost of the rental plus fuel. Rentals must be returned filled with gas. Drivers are responsible for complying with all rental requirements.
  • A JBU Visa Card is provided for each vehicle, specific to that vehicle. These cards must be used rather than the University Visa cards, personal credit cards, or cash. Using the JBU Visa card saves approximately 19 percent. The cards are for fuel and necessary repairs only. JBU vehicles are to be returned filled with gas. All Visa fuel purchases require a receipt returned with the key packet for verification at the FSB office.
  • A Transportation Ticket is provided with the key packet. The beginning mileage is normally recorded prior to each trip. If it is not, record it on the ticket before departure. Record ending mileage upon return. Turn the Transportation Report, fuel receipt, and key/card holder in to the FSB office. The yellow copy will be sent to you with mileage and fuel costs. If returning a vehicle after office hours, drop all items through the mail slot in the FSB office door.
  • Pike Passes are permanently installed in each vehicle. Please make sure they remain. Pike Passes work on Texas Toll roads.
  • JBU vehicles are cleaned and maintained regularly. If a problem is noted with the vehicle, or if the vehicle has not been adequately prepared, please note the item on the Transportation Ticket for immediate and prompt attention. Vehicles must be returned with all personal items and/or trash removed.
  • Within the credit card/key packet is a laminated card listing emergency numbers for assistance if a problem occurs.
  • The vehicle is to remain in the FSB parking lot until the prearranged time for departure and returned to the FSB parking lot as scheduled. If keys to a vehicle must be picked up prior to the scheduled departure time, arrangements must be made in advance and picked up by the scheduled driver. If a vehicle cannot be returned on time, call the FSB office. It is important to be considerate of the next scheduled driver.
  • If a vehicle is scheduled for departure after office hours, call the security office (215-5000) to open the FSB office to obtain keys and paperwork.
  • Report any lost or stolen keys, credit cards, or pike pass immediately. There is a minimum charge of $25 for lost keys and pike passes.
  • Drivers must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid U.S. or Canadian driver’s license.
  • Drivers operating a vehicle equipped to transport 12 passengers or a minivan pulling a trailer must possess a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) or complete a Van Drivers Safety Course conducted by JBU Campus Safety, and must be 21 years of age or older.
  • Drivers must complete a Driving History Investigation Request at the Facilities Services Building and have a copy of their driver’s license on file prior to operating a university vehicle. MVR’s will be obtained on all drivers prior to their operation of a JBU vehicle.
  • Driver approval may be withdrawn at any time at the discretion of campus officials.
  • Drivers may not operate a university vehicle for more than 10 hours during a 24-hour period. A 15 minute break should follow every four hours of driving time.
  • Drivers must obey all federal, state and local laws.
  • Drivers and passengers must wear seat belts when the vehicle is in motion.
  • Vehicles must be driven at or below posted speed limits at all times.
  • Vehicles may not be operated under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
  • Drivers are responsible for the payment of fines associated with any traffic or parking violations that they may incur during the operation of a JBU vehicle.
  • Drivers must immediately report any accidents involving JBU vehicles to local law enforcement authorities and JBU Campus Safety or Facilities Services by calling the numbers provided in the vehicle key case/credit card packet.
  • If involved in an accident, take pictures of all damage to the vehicle.
  • Drivers must report any traffic violations that they receive while operating a JBU vehicle to Campus Safety (ext. 7403). Drivers must be aware of and abide by all state laws regarding the use of electronic devices, such as cell phones, and other electronic devices while operating the vehicle. While not forbidding the use of such devices, JBU requires caution and discretion in using them while driving where legal. If calls during travel are frequent, hands-free equipment is recommended. With hands-free or other devices, drivers should limit calls and defer extended conversations until such time as they can safely pull off the road.
  • Driver must ensure that all passengers have seatbelts securely fastened when the vehicle is in motion.
  • Tobacco products, alcohol or other drugs are not allowed in JBU vehicles at any time.
  • Occupants are responsible for removing all debris from vehicles after use and cleaning any spills.
  • Approved groups will be responsible for any damage caused to the vehicle or any excessive cleaning that may be needed.
  • Vehicles may not be operated during severe weather warnings or any other weather or driving conditions during which vehicle occupants would be placed at undue risk.
  • Luggage and other cargo may not be loaded above the height of the passenger seating level.
  • Vehicles may not be loaded beyond posted occupancy or weight limits.
  • Drivers or approved groups that fail to abide by the John Brown University Vehicle Use Policies may lose the privilege of using JBU vehicles.

Work Request

Work Request Form

Please refer to these guidelines when you have questions about maintenance requests. If you have additional questions or need clarification about any of our Facilities Services, call 7261.

Work requests should be submitted to Facilities Services via email:

Requests are prioritized into three basic categories: Emergency/Life-safety Situations, Comfort Issues, and Important Personal Needs. It is our goal to provide prompt, thorough service for everyone. Due to daily reprioritizing and emergencies, it is difficult to accurately schedule a service call for a specific day or hour. We schedule time each week to work in lower priority needs as we seek to expedite higher priorities. When freight arrivals, unplanned activities, and last minute situations need to be handled, our scheduled work requests may be reprioritized. Most requests are complete within 24-48 hours. Longer lead time situations or items that require special funding will be dealt with personally by email, telephone, or a personal visit. In an emergency situation, you should call (479) 215-5000.

Custodians are generally available between 5:00am and 3:30pm in the major campus buildings. These employees are dedicated to keeping all areas of the campus clean. In most buildings, routine dusting, vacuuming, and trash removal are completed before offices are occupied for the day. Detail work, such as metal polishing, window cleaning, and carpet extracting is done during the night shift. Custodians dust bookshelves, ledges, and any other area that is accessible without disturbing the room setup. We ask staff and faculty to clean personal work areas, such as desks, and items of personal use and to empty desk size recycling bins into the larger bins provided at locations just outside your building/work area.

The Grounds Department cares for exterior areas and interior University-owned plants. Maintenance requests for problems in outdoor areas should be routed just as all other requests.

Painting Requests

In the best interest of the University, all painting requests are to be evaluated and completed by Facilities Services. Painting is done on a cyclical basis. Requests for painting will be placed on the schedule according to the discretion of Facilities Services.

To have a painting need evaluated, a work request can be submitted via Each request is evaluated against the condition of the rest of the campus before painting commences.

Change in color must be approved by the Finishes Committee chaired by the Director of Facilities Services. Requests which fall outside of normal maintenance cycles may be charged to the requesting department.