Get the Answers You Need

Frequently Asked Questions


Do I need a Meal Plan?

A 14 scan, 19 scan, or unlimited (all-access) meal/week plan is required if you reside in any of the four traditional residence halls, as well as underclassmen living in the Townhouses and North Slope Apartments. A 7 scan plan is required for juniors residing in the Townhouses or Northslope Apartments. Seniors in the Townhouses or Apartments must purchase a minimum of a $25 declining balance or Ground Floor Coffee card.

Meal Plans allow you to enjoy the convenience of on-campus dining as well as these other great benefits:

  • Guaranteed all-you-care-to-eat meals and the flexibility of grab-n-go items
  • No worries about carrying cash
  • Minutes from great food and comfortable locations

What is the difference between the new "scan" plan vs. the old "meals" plan?

Now that the dining hall has extended hours (starting fall 2018), a student can use a scan to enter the dining hall any time they are open. You might scan for lunch, again for a 3 p.m. waffle snack and again for dinner. This would use 3 of your scans for the week. There is no limit to how many scans you can use in a day but your meal plan dictates how many scans you have each week. (Unless you select the all access plan which is unlimited scans.) 

Can I treat a friend by using two "meals" in a meal period?

Unless you have the unlimited all-access plan, you are free to use one of your scans to allow a friend to access the dining hall with you. If you have the unlimited plan you may treat your friend by paying for their meal with your Declining Balance Dollars, cash, credit or debit.

If I'm a senior in the townhouses do I have to buy a meal plan?

No. Seniors may purchase a minimum of a $25 declining balance or Ground Floor Coffee card.

What are Declining Balance Dollars?

These are supplements to your meal plan and can be used in the California Cafe' or Kresge. They work like a bank debit card; each time you make a purchase the total is subtracted from the balance in your account. Declining balance dollars can be purchased online. Any remaining balance from the fall semester will rollover to the Spring semester.

Can I get a meal to go or takeout food from Kresge?

If you will miss a meal you can preorder a “Bag Meal”, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Pick up an order form at the cashier station in Kresge dining hall. Simply let us know what you would like to eat and when you would like to pick up your meal. Because we are an “All You Care to Eat” facility we do not allow take out of any food or leftovers.

Can I change my dining plan?

We want you to have the best plan for you. You can adjust your meal plan during the first two weeks of the fall and/or spring semesters. To make a change to your meal plan, log onto EagleNet to submit your meal plan change form.

If I don't use all my scans in a week, do they carry over to the following week?

Scans are good for a one week period. They don't carry over from one week to the next. It's key to select the best plan for your schedule and your dining styles so you get the max from your dining plan.

What do I do when my Declining Balance runs low?

If you run low, you can add to your account online at any time.

Can I use my Declining Balance at Ground Floor Coffee?

No, but you can purchase online a separate Square card that is good only for Ground Floor Coffee in denominations of $25, $50, $75, $100, $200 & $300. 

Do my meal plans and declining balances expire if I don't use them by the end of the semester?

Yes, all access, 19 scans, 14 scans & 7 scans end each semester.  Senior and commuter meal plans, ground floor and declining balances can roll over to the Spring semester but expire at the end of the Spring semester

Google™ Translate: