Transfer Student FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

What is John Brown University's main goal?

John Brown University aspires to be a Christ-centered, interdenominational university that leads the nation in integrating faith and learning, fostering holistic spiritual formation, promoting pragmatic liberal arts education, and preparing people to follow Christ's call to serve other in all areas of life. More Info? Mission, Vision and Values.

Am I a Transfer Student?

A transfer student is anyone who has attended a college/university after completing high school. If a transfer student has finished 24+ credit hours, they do not need to provide any high school information to the university during the application process.

What's the Admissions Process?

See the Transfer Admissions Checklist.

How will my credit transfer?

JBU accepts credit from community colleges and regionally accredited universities. JBU also accepts Bible credit from schools which are accredited through the Association of Biblical Higher Education (ABHE). JBU evaluates credit on a course-by-course basis. Students must have received a C grade or higher in the course in order for the hours of that course to transfer. Those credits are then evaluated to cover Core, Major, or Elective credits, depending on the student's desired major at JBU. More Info? Transfer Guides

Use Transferology, a free tool, to find out how your courses will transfer to JBU.

What are articulation agreements?

Articulation agreements are formal partnerships meant to facilitate a seamless transfer of courses from another college or university to JBU. The partnerships create a pathway for students to earn an associate’s degree from their institution and then complete their bachelor’s degree at JBU. Articulation agreements may also offer reverse transfer credit, meaning your JBU classes may transfer back to the initial institution while you are a JBU student. View JBU's Articulation Agreements.

What are admissions requirements for transfers?

To review files for acceptance, students must have at least a 2.5 cumulative college GPA. If students have less than 24 college credits completed by the time of application, they must also have at least a 2.5 high school GPA and an ACT score of 20 or SAT score of 1020. 

I have special scheduling needs because of work, etc. What are my options?

JBU's main campus in Siloam Springs is set up in a traditional format – nearly all classes are face-to-face and offered during the typical work day. Most students have classes 5 days a week. However, JBU has several extension centers around Arkansas, as well as a couple of degree programs that are 100% online. More Info? JBU Online

Is there an application deadline?

Students interested in applying for a Fall term are highly encouraged to apply before Christmas of the previous year. Students interested in applying for a Spring term are highly encouraged to apply in the summer prior to the desired spring term. Below are the application deadlines:

Fall Admission: August 1

Spring Admission: November 15 

What ways can I send my transcript to JBU?

Students should request that a transcript be mailed to the following address:

JBU Admissions
2000 W University St.
Siloam Springs, AR 72761

JBU can also receive electronic transcripts through the following services:

What's Financial Aid like for Transfers?

Transfer students are able to receive both Merit-Based scholarships and Need-Based scholarships. In order to apply for Merit-Based aid, JBU requires official copies of your college transcripts. If you have less than 24 college credits complete, we'll also need your High School transcript and ACT / SAT score. To apply for Need-based scholarships, JBU requires that you file the FAFSA and send the results to JBU - JBU's FAFSA code is 001100. More Info? Financial Aid.

Can I live off Campus?

JBU is a residential campus, meaning that most students live on campus for at least 6 semesters. Students are able to live off campus if they are 22, married, living with their parents, or living with a JBU faculty/staff member. JBU has four dormitories (1 all-men, 1 all-women, and 2 co-ed), and a few other options that are reserved for upperclassmen. More Info? Residence Life.

I'm a Commuter; what's available to me?

JBU has events during New Student Orientation specifically for commuter students, so be sure to attend. Commuter students are given a campus mail box and also have access to lockers and a commuter common room in the Walker Student Center. More Info? Student Development.

Is Chapel Mandatory?

All full-time students are to attend at least 21 out of about 50 chapels each semester. Chapel is on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 10:30 - 11:15am and on Sunday evenings from 9:00 - 10:00pm. Other chapel opportunities are offered at varying times throughout the semester. More Info? Office of Christian Formation.

Does JBU offer health insurance to Domestic Students?

No, domestic students may find resources about health insurance at International students should contact their Admissions Counselor for information about health insurance.

How much should I budget for books?

Each major is different, but the average student pays $200-$400 in book costs each semester. More Info? Bookstore.

How many credits can I transfer to John Brown University?

Students can transfer an unlimited amount of credits to JBU. However, students are still required to meet JBU's Residence Policy. Fulfillment of the residence requirements for a bachelor's degree from JBU consists of the following:

  • Completion after achievement of junior standing of at least two full-time semesters in residence.
  • Completion by means of courses taken in residence of at least 39 of the final 45 semester hours of credit presented in fulfillment of degree requirements.
  • Completion in residence of at least two junior-senior level courses constituting four or more credit hours in the major field.

Residence requirements may be modified to accommodate students in Pre-Health Professions programs.

Will my courses transfer?

Transferology is a free tool that will tell you exactly how your credit will transfer to JBU.

Find out