Majoring in Mathematics at JBU
Why major in math at John Brown University? Students in the department of mathematics are provided with solid foundational knowledge in the subjects of calculus, probability, geometry, modern algebra and real analysis. The discipline of the department produces students with a high level of mathematical competence.
Small class sizes allows for close student/teacher interaction. Using text books written by John Brown University professors lets students to engage the material in a deeper way. Math education majors enrich their classroom experience through practical professional experiences, including a teaching internship their final semester.
Whether you are starting your own business, developing computer software or running a political campaign, you'll need to be able to solve complex problems. As a JBU mathematics student, you'll be able develop your problem-solving skills and apply them to every day situations.
Top 5 reasons to become a math major:
- Many jobs have a high demand for mathematics. The 2010 Bureau of Labor and Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook (Mathematics Section) shows that a mathematician's median pay is $99,380 per year. Similar occupations, or careers which require a great deal of mathematics show median salaries ranging from $36,050 - $105,430 per year.
- Mathematics is indispensable in many fields. The technical and intellectual skills you'll learn are broadly applicable to careers in economics, finance, business, political science and engineering. According to Forbes, each of the top 15 highest-earning college degrees have one common factor: they all require a great deal of math.
- Mathematicians have versatile job opportunities. From video-game development to homeland security, there are many ways in which you can apply your mathematics degree.
- It's a distinguished profession. The science of problem solving (i.e. mathematics) is highly respected among many professions like business, law, education and medicine.
- Mathematics is fun, challenging, rewarding and useful.