Looking at the Options
Careers in English Education
- Teach overseas - Many international and missionary based schools look for qualified teachers to serve.
- Work in private or public schools - Educational institutions are always seeking quality teachers.
- Work in daycare centers or nursery schools - Childcare workers who understand childhood development and education fundamentals are in great demand.
- Graduate school - Many graduates choose to pursue a degree in higher education to teach collegiate coursework in education.
- Social Work - Elementary schools and other educational institutions look for social workers who have a background in education.
- Education Administrator - These professionals oversee the daily aspect of child care centers, preschools or other schools. Typically, this position requires an advanced degree.
- Missions work - Many missionary families are looking for qualified educational professionals to help them with homeschooling.
There is a high demand for English education majors throughout the United States and overseas!
- Students are given many opportunities to send and present papers to national and state writing conventions.
- Education students can go overseas to teach on mission trips during the spring and summer.
- Renowned authors, poets and songwriters hold creative workshops for students during Giving Voice: A Festival of Writing and the Arts. This is a great opportunity to get critiques on personal creative writing, research papers or ask questions about the field of writing, editing and publishing.
- Model classrooms, all available on campus, allow students to visualize and practice teaching skills in class!
Above are photographs of a classroom JBU students practice their teaching skills in.
Gain valuable work and editorial experience by working in the Writing Center. Students working in the Writing Center help other students brainstorm topic ideas, edit papers, fix grammatical errors and polish up their research papers.
Students learn about editorial work, magazine layout and publishing by working on a literary magazine.
Work as a teaching assistant at the Summer Language Institute in Lithuania.