English Honors Society - Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta is an avenue for English majors and minors to develop their leadership abilities and build community while honing their own professional skills. Over the years, the English Honors Society, Sigma Tau Delta, has sponsored numerous opportunities on and off campus to foster a culture of arts and intellectual inquiry.
- Foreign film nights offer exposure to multicultural perspectives and a refreshing break from Hollywood productions.
- Poetry readings in the homes of professors build community among English majors, and readings in local coffee houses or Barnes and Noble in Fayetteville allow students and faculty to share their own creative works with the wider public.
- Our annual Bad Love Poetry Contest every February publishes the winner in the campus newspaper, and other writing contests have awarded cash prizes to coincide with Literary Writers Festivals.
- Members have traveled across the U.S. to Honors Conferences to present their research papers, and some students have won national awards with their papers.
- Publishing essays or creative writings is also an option with the society's periodicals.
- Promoting literacy has been one of our chapter's aims with service projects like Read-a-thon fundraisers that benefit the Dogwood Literacy Council.
- Induction ceremonies and other festive gatherings offer a welcome break from studying.