Our graduates work for small startup companies, non-profit organizations, large retail companies, suppliers and distributors, and some of the largest accounting firms in the world. In addition, many of our graduates have gone back to school for master’s degrees in business and other areas of study.
Cameron Lindsey, 2012
Associate at CBIZ MHM, LLC & Mayer Hoffman McCann P.C.
“The College of Business at John Brown University gave me the foundation in accounting needed to obtain a job in the public accounting field. More importantly, it taught me how to relate to people, and handle business situations ethically. The faculty in the College of Business were the biggest key in preparing me to be successful. They not only have experience in their related fields, but were committed to pushing me to see me succeed. You can get a foundation in accounting anywhere, but the faculty are what separates John Brown University [from other schools].”
Tina Funk, 2012
Financial Reporting Accountant at Arvest Bank Operations
“JBU equipped me with a solid education and a number of experiential learning opportunities that were instrumental in preparing me for my career. Specifically, the College of Business helped develop my ability to think critically and solve problems quickly and efficiently, which is a skill set I use every day in my current job.”
Senior Accountant at Rasco Winter Abston Moore & Associates, LLP
“The College of Business gave me a solid accounting education to help me be successful as a CPA. The College also taught the importance of being a self-starter. [JBU] gave me the opportunity to apply my education to real world situations through the internship program and the Strategic Management class. Strategic Management helped refine my problem-solving, research, and presentation skills.”
Josh Garrett, 2012
Student in the MBA in Accountancy program at University of Denver – Daniels College of Business
Associate Auditor at Capin Crouse, LLP
“The JBU College of Business did a superb job of preparing me for both graduate school and public accounting. I have been very well equipped as a student and professional, and have at no time felt myself to be underprepared from an academic standpoint. The University of Denver has one of the top-ten accounting programs in the country, and I have felt prepared for all of my classes thus far. As a professional, I have received consistent feedback that my foundation in accounting is extremely solid, and that my undergraduate preparation must have been excellent.”
Accounting majors have many career options before them when they graduate. Below are simply a few careers which students may choose to pursue:
- Auditing - checking accounting ledgers and financial statements within corporations and government.
- Budget Analysis - developing and managing an organization's financial records and plans. This job can be both for private industries or government.
- Financial Accountant - preparing financial statements and participating in a company's important financial decisions.
- Management Accounting - working in companies and participating in decisions about capital budgeting and line of business analysis. This work often involves analyzing the structure of an organization.
- Tax Accountant - preparing personal and corporate income tax statements, formulating tax strategies.
- Public Accountant - working to provide services to business, individuals and government. This field offers competitive potential for advancing.
- Government Accountant - may work for the state, local or federal government to administer/formulate budgets, analyze programs and track costs.