German Summer Program
Study Abroad in Germany
German Studies is a four-week, six-credit-hour Core Curriculum program designed for all majors. This course will allow you to learn about the Reformation while living in the Bavarian village of Landshut near Munich, at the heart of Reformation history. You’ll get to travel across many of Germany’s most beautiful landscapes and cities, from Augsburg to the Alps and Luther’s Wittenberg, Marburg, and Eisenach.
In each place, you’ll have the opportunity to step into the very places you read about: you’ll visit Munich’s museums, Bach’s church in Leipzig, and Wartburg Castle. You’ll get to stand in the spot where Luther was “kidnapped” and ended up translating the New Testament, have your picture taken in front of the famous Wittenberg Door, and dance to Glockenspiel music in Munich. You will learn about the bravery and love of Bonhoeffer in his pastoral work in a church buckling under Hitler, his resistance to the Third Reich, and his eventual martyrdom. You’ll get to pray together at a Concentration Camp memorial site and sing “A Mighty Fortress is Our God” in the church where it was first sung! You’ll enjoy German culture, food, bakeries and Eis!
Dates: Offered every other year. Next opportunity is summer 2017.
Team Size: minimum 12
Professors: Tim and Pam Dinger
Location: Bavaria and Thuringen (Southern and Central Germany)
- BBL 3003: Evangelical Theology (core class)
- BBL 4003: Capstone Seminar in Christian Life (core class)
- Special topic: History of German Monasticism
Meets Global Studies Requirement
How to Apply:
1. Read the JBU International Travel Policy, which lists the forms and documentation needed to study abroad and provides a general overview of payment methods.
2. Fill out the Application for Summer Education Programs.
3. Return the application and all documentation to International Programs Office.
The studies team leaders review all applications and will communicate with applicants accordingly.
For More Information, contact:
Dr. Tim Dinger
Director of Student Counseling
John Brown University
International Education Coordinator
John Brown University