About Study Abroad
Why Study Abroad?
Every year, over one hundred John Brown University students study abroad for a summer or semester. These students explore subjects from Irish literature to European art, sustainable ecology, and international business. Some participate in mission trips that meet the educational and medical needs of children. Wherever they go, JBU students reach outside of their comfort zones and return with valuable skills and experiences from across the world.
John Brown University offers study abroad programs and mission trips in over sixteen countries, including Ireland, Guatemala, China, and Lithuania. Many study abroad programs are offered through partner institutions such as the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) and Lithuania Christian College. Both JBU-directed and outside study abroad opportunities allow JBU students expand their horizons by living and learning around the world.
If you’re considering studying abroad at JBU, read on to see some benefits of studying abroad, as well as questions to consider about studying abroad. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the International Programs department. We look forward to exploring the world with you!
Why Study Abroad?
In the words of St. Augustine, “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” As Augustine recognized, traveling and studying abroad allows you to expand your horizons and read “pages” of the world that you would not otherwise have seen. Furthermore, studying abroad provides the following tangible benefits in the area of academics, future career, and personal growth.
1. Academic benefits
- Learn about other cultures and languages
- Benefit from expertise offered by other professors at international universities
- Study subjects not offered at JBU
2. Career benefits
- Stand out from peers on your resume
- Exhibit your ability to interact with a variety of people and cultures
- Become aware of international practices and global issues facing your career
3. Lifetime benefits
- Make friends in places across the world
- Increase in your understanding of and appreciation for other cultures
- Increase in self-confidence, independence, and maturity
- Deepen your faith through pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone
Questions to Consider
Before you decide on a study abroad program, be sure to ask yourself the following questions.
Why do I want to go?
- To reach out to others for Christ
- To learn about different cultures
- To step outside my comfort zone and challenge myself
- To enhance my resume and future career
- To see the world!
Where do I want to go?
- Domestic or international?
- First-world or third-world country?
- One location or many?
Where do I want to live?
- Dorm or homestay?
- Christian or secular community?
- Fellow JBU students or just me?
What do I want to learn?
- Core, major, or elective courses?
- A foreign language or English-speaking?
Can I afford it?
- Most semester programs are near JBU’s tuition, room, and board rate.
- Some scholarships apply for some semester programs.
- Travel costs are almost always additional.
- Extra travel and personal spending will cost more.