The Division of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes the intellectual, spiritual and emotional development of JBU students as well as faculty, staff, alumni and visitors. The Division develops competent professionals who are prepared to take their places in the world and who realize their potential as salt and light.
The Division serves an important role in the general education curriculum of the university, offering core classes that:
- stimulate critical thinking
- expose students to the arts and literature
- help students develop an understanding of artistic, musical, and literary forms of communication
- develop an understanding of Western and non-Western traditions
- promote life-long learning and enjoyment of the arts and literature
The Division also promotes appreciation of the arts and literature through quality arts programming. These opportunities encourage dialogue on the Christian's relationship to the arts and literature.