Senior Web Developer
The Senior Web Developer is specifically responsible for implementing, developing and/or managing the front-end and back-end functionality of JBU’s public web presence. He or she will research and implement SEO techniques and trends to maximize organic search visibility, ensure adherence to accessibility standards, and research/implement/develop new web-related technologies. This position will work closely and collaboratively with the University Communications (UC) team on an ongoing basis to enhance the effectiveness of JBU’s web presence as a communication and marketing tool.
- Strong ability to create good will with staff, faculty, students, and community.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and trustworthy with confidential information.
- Ability to set priorities, manage time, and accomplish goals with limited supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients that may have limited technical understanding and produce solutions to address their needs.
- Ability to see a project through from conception to completion either working individually or with a team.
- Commitment to the Articles of Faith, mission, and objectives of the university and desires to be a role model for students by demonstrating an active Christian faith in personal example and in work related responsibilities.
- Implements, develops, and/or manages the front-end and back-end functionality of JBU’s public web presence.
- Implements, develops, and/or manages site management tools including content management systems (CMS), video/photo management systems, and interactive tools used on or through the web.
- Maintains existing web tools, which may include: blogs, calendars, live chat, newsletters, photo galleries, video galleries, RSS feeds, pod casts, etc.
- Investigates and implements new web-related technologies which may be related to: security, user interface design, programming methodologies, database solutions, communication protocols/schemes, etc.
- Monitors SEO standards and trends to maximize JBU’s appearance in organic search results.
- Ensures adherence to site accessibility standards (for visually impaired users, mobile devices and special browsers).
- Regularly collaborates with UC on development of web site services to the university, shared projects, and overall web strategies, including providing input and feedback on creative work by other members of the UC team.
- Collaborates with UC to educate and train departmental web page managers in the use of CMS tools and the development of content so that pages are effective and optimized for search engines.
- Collaborates with UC to develop style guides and templates (primarily information architecture) for the creation of new web pages and web content to optimize JBU’s online brand image, site functionality, and JBU’s appearance in search engines; ensures that those styles and templates are used appropriately.
- Collaborates with UC to integrate web site communications with print materials, PR efforts, and marketing materials, to most consistently and effectively represent JBU to its constituents.
- Directs and/or supervises independent contractors hired to assist with web development projects.
- Supervises, develops and/or consults on the selection and use of communication tools which may include: email subscription management, email marketing tools, survey tools, etc.
- Manages partner and client relationships including effectively communicating with partners and clients about active projects and project plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential skills and experience:
- Proficiency in interpreting business requirements and translating them into dynamic, database-driven, web applications.
- Ability to build web solutions that blend high functionality, usability, and attractive design.
- 5 or more years of full-time related experience are preferred.
Desired skills and experience:
- Proficiency in setting up and managing web sites hosted on IIS.
- Wordpress sites (theme and plugin creation).
- Proficiency in industry standard graphics software.
- Knowledge of Linux environments.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required.
Reporting to this position:
- Work-study staff, part-time staff, private contractors
Physical demands and work environment
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk; stand; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
Information describing the university is available on-line.
Please complete the application and along with your online application, please submit a résumé and cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org Only complete materials will be reviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by the university.
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761