Support Technician for the Department of Visual Arts to begin August 15, 2014, This position will assist faculty in the maintenance and supervision of our various studio lab areas. This person will also assist in keeping these labs supplied and train students to safely use these spaces and equipment. These lab spaces currently include two darkrooms, cinema and photography studios, cinema and photography equipment check-out facilities, a large print-making lab, and a developing wood shop being created to support photography, fine art, and printmaking needs. In addition there are some technical needs that cross over a bit with IT, including calibration of printers and monitors and some activities in the cinema editing and sound suites.
- Ability to create good will with students, staff, faculty and other constituents; servant attitude.
- Professional in appearance and demeanor at all times; ability to set proper priorities and work on multiple tasks.
- Trustworthy with confidential information; loyal; team player.
- Commitment to the Articles of Faith, Mission, and Objectives of the University; and desires to be a role model for students by demonstrating an active Christian faith in personal example and in work related responsibilities.
- Coordinate assessment of equipment for lab, studio, shop, darkroom, printing materials, etc.
- Oversee Woodshop and instruct students in the proper operation of woodworking equipment.
- Maintain and troubleshoot 3d printer and assist in student printing projects
- Coordinate student work-study assignments.
- Maintain and repair photography, cinema, and printing and woodshop equipment as needed.
- Oversee calibration of printers and monitors throughout the art department.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Familiar with proper photographic darkroom practices and procedures
- Able to work in a dual operating system environment
- Familiar with traditional print shop maintenance
- Able to operate and maintain wood working machinery
- Familiar with photographic and cinema lighting and studio operations
- Familiar with 3d printing technologies
- Personnel management experience
- College degree or comparable level of professional experience.
Reporting to this position
- .Chair, Department of Visual Arts
Physical demands and work environment
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; stand; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
Information describing the university is available on-line.
Please complete the application then email it along with your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only complete materials will be reviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by the university.
Office of Human Resources
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761