Staff Writer/Social Media Manager
The Staff Writer/Social Media Manager is responsible for creating editorial products with the UC team to be deployed on Social Media platforms, Web, print and other media formats, with a particular emphasis on the written parts of those products. The Staff Writer/Social Media Managerwill work with the Director to assure that all written materials that represent JBU that come under the purview of University Communications are of excellent quality; and he/she will produce content for and oversee quality control for JBU’s Social Media assets. The staff writer/social media manager is a key part of the creative process, providing input for the various communication campaigns and other efforts coordinated by University Communications.
- Ability to maintain positive relationships with staff, faculty, students and community
- Ability to set priorities and accomplish goals with limited supervision
- Ability to articulate the benefits of a Christian college experience, including a clear and concise position on the issue of integration of faith, learning and living
- Commitment to the Articles of Faith, mission and objectives of the university
- Desire to be a role model for students by demonstrating an active Christian faith in personal example and in work related responsibilities.
- Writing or supervising the writing of all copy on the JBU website
- Creating content for JBU’s social media platform
- Quality control for social media content created by other JBU divisions and departments
- Providing editorial support for the Brown Bulletin, JBU’s official magazine
- Writing articles for the Brown Bulletin
- Writing press releases for JBU
- Supervise student work studies, freelance writers
- Work with Media Producer to write scripts for video projects
- Provide copy editing and writing support for the development team
- Serve as Editor of JBU NOW!
- Write advertising copy
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Knowledge/experience of the editorial process from story idea to final draft
- Administrative knowledge of the Facebook social media platform
- Strong writing narrative skills
- Strong grammar and editing skills
- Ability to do independent research (including interviews) to gather content
- Ability to write clean copy, quickly, under pressure and on deadline
- Ability to self-manage projects as needed
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and the Mac platform
- Familiarity with Associated Press style
- Experience in online or traditional journalism or publishing
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or related fields is required.
Reporting to this position
- work-study staff, interns, part-time staff, private contractors
Physical demands and work environment
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; stand; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
Information describing the university is available on-line.
Please complete the application then email it along with your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only complete materials will be reviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by the university.
Office of Human Resources
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761