Head Coach - Cheerleading (part-time)
Responsible for a team consisting of a minimum of 12 cheerleaders. Responsibilities include coaching, mentoring, leading, recruiting and administrative work. Cheerleading operates primarily as a winter sport, with the vision of expanding to include the fall season as well. The cheer program has limited athletic scholarship money and operates as a Tier III – participation level sport at JBU. Emphasis will be placed on recruiting and retaining a minimum of 12 student-athletes on the team, with a vision of up to two squads and 20 student-athletes. Position is salaried (part-time).
- Knowledge and ability of creating a quality cheer squad with the focus on engaging fans to assist, encourage and rally the sport teams during contests. Emphasis will be placed on appropriate chants and cheers, rather than dance and entertainment.
- Strong ability to create good will with staff, faculty, and students with a servant attitude.
- Commitment to the academic and athletic success of the student-athlete.
- Commitment to the Articles of Faith, Mission, and Objectives of the University; and desires to be a role model for students by demonstrating an active Christian faith in personal example and in work related responsibilities.
- Sets goals and objectives and manages available resources to accomplish them without need for frequent follow up.
- Monitors and mentors academic progress of team members.
- Responsible for the conduct of team members at all athletic contests.
- Guides and mentors student-athletes in academic and social expectations.
- Works with head trainer in the prevention and care of athletic related injuries.
- Recommends student-athletes for approved awards and presents them at the awards convocation.
- Organizes and conducts effective practice sessions.
- Manages and works within the operational budget and scholarship budget.
- Follows all expenditure procedures (PO requisitions, travel expense forms, VISA receipts).
- Purchases all necessary equipment and uniforms.
- Organizes and is responsible for equipment and uniform checkout, inventory, storage.
- Recruits student-athletes to JBU by working closely with admissions and financial aid. Prepares and submits scholarship forms to the Director of Athletics.
- Hold tryouts and/or auditions to select new members of the cheerleading squad.
- Be present at all practices and events where cheerleaders are representing John Brown University. Possible travel involved if a squad is needed at an away event.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics
Essential Skills and Experience
- Cheerleading background with coaching experience.
- Good communication skills and administrative abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Reporting to this position
- No direct reports.
Physical demands and work environment
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; stand; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
Information describing the university is available on-line.
Please complete the application then email it along with your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete materials will be reviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by the university.
Office of Human Resources
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761