With a growing population of English language learners, there is a great need for endorsed TESOL teachers. Therefore, JBU offers the Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction graduate degree with a concentration in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). It is designed for those who desire to not only earn a graduate degree but who also wish to earn an ESL endorsement from the Arkansas Department of Education.
The TESOL concentration is a research-based program that includes reflective practice within the context of the professional learning community. The purpose is to support student learning by helping teachers expand knowledge and focus their skills to meet the learning needs of K-12 English language learners.
Course requirements for the Master of Education degree with a concentration in TESOL are as follows: (Click on the following link for course descriptions: Master of Education Course Descriptions)
Curriculum and Instruction Core Requirements (18 hours)
- Christian Foundations and Instructional Facilitation
- Human Development
- Human Intellect and the Brain
- Action Research and Data Analysis for School and Classroom
- Differentiated Learning
- Organizational Dynamics and Change
TESOL Concentration Requirements (18 hours)
- Second Language Acquisition
- Educational Assessment: TESOL
- Curriculum & Instruction: TESOL
- Intercultural Communications
- Literacy and Linguistics
- Action Research Practicum
Minimum Semester hours . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36 hours
Graduate education courses will be offered at the JBU Rogers Center.