Thursday, February 6, 2014
Growing up the child of two teachers, I saw first hand the love and energy my parents poured into their students. Few professions offer you the opportunity to make a bigger impact on the world, and at JBU, we’re committed to training teachers who are leaders in their classrooms and beyond.
Thinking about teaching? Here are 5 reasons to consider a career in education:
- To embrace your calling. At JBU, we strongly believe that teaching is more than a career – it’s a calling.
- To make a difference. Not only do teachers instill knowledge, they also instill a sense of social responsibility and caring. Just like our alumna Melissa Eaton, whose students raised money for other kids in need.
- To help others understand how to do something. There’s nothing like the feeling of watching a student learn, or seeing “the light come on” for the first time in a difficult subject.
- To experience personal growth. Teaching will stretch you. It will challenge you. But most of all, it will inspire you.
- To love your job. Teaching is a tough profession. You'll never stop learning and you'll have students who are in heartbreaking situations. But there's no greater reward than knowing you're truly doing something that makes the world a better place in which to live.
Whether you're seeking initial teaching licensure or want to take your teaching to the next level, check out JBU's Master of Education program in Curriculum and Instruction.