Play therapy uses a variety of play and creative arts techniques to better assist children to communicate their thoughts and feelings. Through play therapy, children learn to manage their emotions, behaviors and life situations.
Students who are majoring in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, or School Counseling at JBU may choose a nine-hour emphasis in Play Therapy as part of their degree program.
JBU’s graduate certificate in Play Therapy is a 15-hour program designed for mental health professionals who have completed a counseling-related graduate degree. Note: students only pursuing the graduate certificate program in Play Therapy do not qualify for financial aid, including federal student loan programs.
The Tucker Hill Play Therapy Wing, part of the JBU CARE Clinic in Siloam Springs, has five suites dedicated to play therapy. Play therapy is also offered in Fort Smith, Little Rock and Rogers.
5 reasons to study Play Therapy at JBU:
- Flexible scheduling – Classes are offered in a weekend format (Friday evening/Saturday) nine times a year (three weekends a semester) plus practicum.
- Great faculty – At JBU, you’ll learn from great faculty like Dr. Chuck Romig and Dr. Nick Cornett who hold PhDs in counseling and are licensed Marriage and Family Therapists as well as Registered Play Therapists.
- Real clinical experience – JBU offers hands-on play therapy opportunities for our students at locations in Siloam Springs, Fort Smith, Little Rock and Rogers.
- Program options – Play Therapy is available as a 15-hour certificate program that meets both the educational and supervision requirements for the Association of Play Therapy’s Registered Play Therapy (RPT) credential, or as a 9-hour post-master’s emphasis to meet the educational requirements to become a Registered Play Therapist.
- Credentialing – The JBU Play Therapy Institute is an Approved Center of Play Therapy Education and an Approved Provider of Play Therapy Continuing Education through the Association of Play Therapy (APT Approved Provider 13-350).
Did you know?
Each spring, JBU hosts a Family Therapy Conference in Siloam Springs.