Higher Education Leadership
Master of Science (M.S.)
John Brown University's Master of Science in Higher Education Leadership was designed for those who want to apply leadership vision and ethical practices to the leadership and ethical challenges faced in the field of higher education. Through this program, you will gain an understanding of how organizations work, how to provide leadership to an educational institution and how to implement ethical practices. This degree is ideal for those seeking to become upwardly mobile in the field of education or who are looking at the prospect of a career change.
Not only will the MS in Higher Education Leadership degree provide a solid foundation for doctoral work, but it will also prepare you for a variety of higher education careers, including admissions/financial aid, mid-level college administration, career development services, intercollegiate athletics, ministry programs, residence life, student activities, student leadership and student support services.
Course requirements for the Master of Science degree in Higher Education Leadership are listed below.
Leadership and Ethics Core Requirements - 24 hours
- BUS8013 - Research Methods
- HED7113 - History and Philosophy of American Higher Education
- HED7663 - The College Student: Issues, Policies and Programs
- HED7993 - Administrative Leadership in Higher Education
- HED8223 - Education Program Development and Implementation
- LDR7113 - Foundations of Leadership
- LDR8033 - Christian Foundations for Organizational Leaders
Select one of the following:
- BUS7503 - Contemporary Topic Seminar
- HED8263 - Higher Education Practicum
- HED8903 - Selected Topics
- LDR7503 - Executive Leadership Seminar
Select 12 hours from the following:
- BUS8993 - Designing and Executing Strategies
- LDR7223 - Mission, Vision and Values
- LDR7343 - Corporate Governance and Ethics
- LDR7993 - Building Teams
- LDR8003 - Ethical Decisions in Organizations
- LDR8113 - Leading Change
- LDR8243 - Emotional Health in Organizations
- LDR8333 - Global Leadership and Ethics
Minimum semester hours – 36
Business and leadership courses are offered at JBU's educational centers in Fort Smith, Little Rock and Rogers, as well as online; HED courses are offered only online.
Face-to-face classes meet from 6:00 - 10:00 p.m., one night per week for eight weeks. Online courses are also eight weeks in duration.