JBU Faculty Excellence Award
The JBU Faculty Excellence Award is designed to honor faculty who have
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching, scholarship, service, or spiritual modeling
- Positively impacted students, colleagues, and the JBU community
- Contributed substantially to the goals and mission of JBU.
The award is funded through the generous donation of an anonymous alumni donor.
1. Nomination Process
- Nominations may come from students, faculty, administration, or staff.
- A letter of nomination should be submitted to the Director of Faculty Development, Cary Balzer (firstname.lastname@example.org), giving evidence of a comprehensive, sustained record of excellence and should include citations of specific instances during the current year. Please include personal comments from faculty staff and students if possible.
A. General Criteria
Full time faculty members who have served a minimum of three full years on the JBU faculty are eligible. Faculty recipients of the award are ineligible to receive an award for a period of five years.
B. Specific Criteria
- Evidence of superior teaching skill, curriculum development, innovative teaching, or extraordinary impact on students
AND one or more of the following
- Evidence of exceptional mastery of subject and scholarship
- Significant educational outreach activities
- Research activity
- Mentoring in undergraduate research
- Evidence of significant service to the institution
- Exemplary leadership of campus, regional, or national initiatives
- Significant involvement in or contributions to a professional organization
- Extraordinary involvement with students through advising and/or mentoring
- Advancement of the mission of JBU in the spiritual development of students
3. Selection Process
A committee will seek and review nominations. The committee will consist of the Director of Faculty Development (chair), two faculty members appointed by the Faculty Development Committee (it is recommended that these faculty members be the recipients of the previous year), and two students, one chosen by SGA and the other chosen by CAUSE.
The nominee’s file should include nomination letters, faculty evaluation material - including student evaluations from the past three years and the most recent faculty evaluation, as well as other supporting evidence. The committee may seek more information from the nominee, the nominator, division chairs, or directors. The committee also may choose to question a random sample of colleagues and/or students regarding the evidence supporting the nomination.
- 2011 - Dr. Robbie Castleman, Biblical Studies
- 2010 - Mr. Dave Andrus, Visual Arts and Mrs. Mandy Moore, Business
- 2009 - Dr. Holly Allen, Biblical Studies
- 2008 - Dr. David Vila, Biblical Studies
- 2007 - Dr. Gary Guinn, Humanities and Social Science and Dr. Carli Conklin, Humanities and Social Science
- 2006 - Dr. Frank Blume, Natural Science
- 2005 - Ms. Grace Davis, Education, and Dr. Lee Netherton, Natural Science
- 2004 - Dr. Ed Klotz, Humanities & Social Sciences and Mr. Don Balla, Business
- 2003 - Dr. Jim Walters, Biblical Studies
- 2002 - Dr. Jim Pearson, Engineering and Dr. Jan Wubbena, Music
- 2001 - Dr. Kent Davis, Construction Management and Dr. Delia Haak, Business
Dr. Robbie Castleman
Mr. David Andrus
Mrs. Mandy Moore
Dr. Holly Allen
Dr. David Vila
Dr. Gary Guinn
Humanities and Social Science
Dr. Carli Conklin
Humanities and Social Science
Dr. Frank Blume
Ms. Grace Davis
Dr. Lee Netherton
Mr. Don Balla
Dr. Ed Klotz
Humanities & Social Sciences
Dr. Jim Walters
Dr. Jim Pearson
Dr. Jan Wubbena
Dr. Kent Davis
Dr. Delia Haak