How to purchase books for your Degree Completion courses
Textbooks may be obtained through the JBU Bookstore or on your own.
The JBU Bookstore is owned and operated by Follett Corporation. If you choose to purchase your books through the JBU Bookstore and have accepted enough federal aid (grants and loans) to cover the cost of books and tuition, a book voucher will be issued to the JBU Bookstore to purchase your books and required supplies.
If you choose to purchase books from another source, note that any financial aid amount you accept above the cost of tuition and fees will not disburse until after you have attempted six hours of credit at JBU. This means that you’ll be responsible for paying for your books out of pocket, at least for the first three courses.
If purchasing through the bookstore, you will have three textbook options: (1) purchase new books; (2) purchase used books (if available); or (3) rent books (if available). On average, used textbooks can be purchased for about 75% of a new textbook price, and textbooks can be rented for about half of the price of purchasing new textbooks. You will be asked to verify your shipping address during registration, and books will be shipped directly to you at that time.
Note: Renting textbooks requires a valid credit card that can be charged should the book(s) not be returned. Students who wish to rent textbooks must register on the website here.
Instructions for Purchasing Textbooks
If you are planning to purchase textbooks from the JBU Bookstore, visit http://www.bkstr.com/johnbrownstore/home.
- Click on Books
- Select your program: JBU Online Degree Completion
- Select your term of entry
- Select your department: Course prefix (on your class schedule)
- Select your course: Course number (on your class schedule)
- Select your section: Course section (on your class schedule)
You will need to select your preferences for each book required for each section and add to your online shopping cart. Once finished, you will need to set up your customer account with eFollett (similar to shopping online at sites like Amazon.com).
If you wish to shop around for your textbooks and would like to obtain textbook information, go to:http://www.jbu.edu/registrar/course_schedules/.
- Use drop-down menu under "Degree Completion Course Lists" to select "Distance Learning Spring 2 2016," then click "View."
- Once you have selected your term, click on each individual course title, and your textbook title(s), author(s) and ISBN numbers will be listed for your convenience.
NOTE: Students are required to have textbooks in hand on the first date of class. No exceptions will be made or assignment deadlines changed because of failure to order books in time for class.