Financial Planning

Financial Aid Options and Policies for Assisting with Educational Expenses

Each year a majority of graduate students attending John Brown University benefit from federal loans. Students enrolled at least half-time and seeking financial aid are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at For additional information, visit the web at To ensure that financial aid eligibility is determined in a timely manner, submit the FAFSA at least eight weeks prior to registration. Only full-time students may receive institutional aid.

Based on information supplied by a student's FAFSA results, the Financial Aid Office will determine each student's financial aid award offer. Consideration for financial assistance will occur only after the student has received a tentative or final acceptance through the Admissions Office. Returning students will be awarded assistance if they are making satisfactory academic progress. To continue to receive financial aid, application for aid must be made each year.

Financial Aid Policy

All students enrolled at John Brown University who receive financial aid through JBU or the federal Title IV Assistance Programs must meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements as defined below in order to be eligible for further aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory academic progress is deemed to have been made by a student who meets both the quantitative and qualitative requirements indicated below.

Quantitative Requirements

There are two quantitative requirements that the student must meet in order to remain eligible to apply for financial assistance. First, the student must pass, at a minimum, 67% of the credits attempted while attending the university. Also, the student will remain eligible to apply for aid as long as the number of credits attempted is not more than 150% of the number of credits required for the student's degree.

A transfer student may have earned credits at another school that will count toward his or her degree at JBU. Only transfer credits that apply to the student's degree will count as part of the 150% maximum.

Qualitative Requirements

A student is deemed to have met the qualitative requirements for satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes provided the student's academic status is not one of academic suspension.

Appeal Process

If a student does not successfully meet the satisfactory academic progress policy guidelines, the Financial Aid Assistant Director will notify the student in writing of their financial aid suspension status. The student may submit a written appeal to the Associate Vice President of Enrollment within 30 days of the time that the student is notified of their suspension. Financial aid eligibility appeals will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office on a case-by-case basis.

The financial aid eligibility appeal is a separate process from the Registrar's appeal process for academic suspension. A successful appeal to reinstate a student to the university after academic suspension by the Registrar's Office does not necessarily reinstate a student to the financial aid programs.

Addendum to Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Appeal due to mitigating circumstances:

This section of the satisfactory academic progress policy gives some examples where allowances may be made for mitigating circumstances. These examples are not all-inclusive. The Financial Aid Office may allow other mitigating circumstances on a case-by-case basis depending on the merit of the appeal.

Death in the family or death of a close friend.

Serious illness of a family member.

Medical complications or prolonged illness of the student.

Inability to attend classes because of unexpected lack of transportation.

Serious financial problems requiring excessive hours of employment.

How do the following affect Satisfactory Academic Progress determinations?

Withdrawal: A withdrawal ('W') is counted as an attempted class that was not successfully completed.

Incomplete: An incomplete ('I') is counted as an attempted class that was not successfully completed.

Repeated course: A repeated course is counted as attempted and successfully completed if a passing grade was earned.

Transfer course: Transfer courses are counted as attempted and completed if the course work is applicable to the student's JBU degree and the grade earned is "C" or better.

Non-credit remedial course work is not applicable at JBU.

Veterans Administration Benefits

John Brown University is an approved institution for veterans and veterans' beneficiaries training. Veterans, widows, and children of veterans who lost their lives in service, or veterans who are now disabled as a result of service should contact the nearest Veterans Administration Regional Office as far in advance of enrollment date as possible for assistance in securing VA benefits. Information regarding this program may be obtained from JBU’s VA Certifying Official at



Google™ Translate: