Mission & Statement of Faith
Our University's Mission and Doctrinal Statement of Faith
The Mission of the University
The faculty and board of trustees have accepted the following statement as being an accurate expression of the university's basic mission:
John Brown University provides Christ-centered education that prepares people to honor God and serve others by developing their intellectual, spiritual, and professional lives.
Statement of Faith
The doctrinal position of the institution is contained in the following Articles of Faith which have been adopted by the National Association of Evangelical's:
1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative word of God.
2. We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
4. We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
5. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
6. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
7. We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
The faculty has expressed its purpose as sending forth graduates
Whose lives reflect the love of Christ
Through reverence toward God.
Through consecration to Christ and His Church.
Through knowledge of the Bible and appreciation of its principles.
Through participation in Christian activities with talents, means, and time.
Through tolerance, humility, and helpfulness to others.
Who possess intellectual integrity and an enthusiasm for continuing self-development
Through use of mental processes which lead to intelligent decisions.
Through familiarization with sources of information.
Through utilization of knowledge.
Through mastery of means of communication of ideas.
Who are able to function effectively in a multicultural world
Through a heightened awareness of diverse cultural contexts and values.
Through development of skills and attitudes necessary to interact, work, and minister with people of other cultures.
Through understanding the inclusiveness of God's Kingdom and the equality of all people before God.
Through formation of a Christian perspective of the world.
Who are eager and able to perform a share of the world's work
Through their willing response to God's unique plan.
Through working in chosen vocations with skill, efficiency, and dedication.
Through a cooperative and understanding attitude toward fellow workers.
Who make worthy contributions to their communities
Through active cooperation with other people toward general community improvement.
Through promoting wholesome entertainment, adequate educational programs, and other phases of community welfare.
Through exercising their political privileges in the spirit of Christ.
Through practicing the high ideals of love and justice toward all people.