Financial Planning

Federal and State Financial Aid Opportunities to Help Meet your Financial Needs

Each year a majority of students attending John Brown University benefit from federal or state grants, or federal loans. Students enrolled at least half-time and seeking financial aid are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To ensure that financial aid eligibility is determined in a timely manner, submit the FAFSA at least eight weeks prior to registration. Only full-time students may receive institutional aid.

Based on information supplied by a student's FAFSA results, the Financial Aid Office will determine each student's financial aid award offer. Consideration for financial assistance will occur only after the student has received a tentative or final acceptance through the Admissions Office. Returning students will be awarded assistance if they are making satisfactory academic progress. To continue to receive federal financial aid, a student must file a new FAFSA each year.

The federal government sponsors student assistance programs to those who have demonstrated financial need. Through the Federal Pell Grant Program, students may receive as much as $5,645 per year, based on authorization from Congress. Students may also be eligible for assistance from other sources, such as a low interest Federal Stafford Student Loan (subsidized or unsubsidized) to help cover both the direct and indirect costs of education. Award amounts depend on financial need.

John Brown University participates in the following state aid programs:

Arkansas Challenge Scholarship
Higher Education Opportunities (GO! Opportunities Grant)
Workforce Improvement Grant (WIG)
National Guard Tuition Incentive Program (GTIP)

A student can apply for the Challenge and GO scholarships via the YOUniversal Scholarship Application located on the Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE) web site. The ADHE Financial Aid Division web page states guidelines for student eligibility, as well as minimum and maximum award amounts, including aggregate maximum amounts. The state communicates directly with a student about eligibility, award amounts, and disbursement schedules. The state notifies JBU of award recipients via electronic rosters.

The Financial Aid Office awards WIG to students who meet ADHE eligibility criteria. Limited funds are available.

A student can apply for the GTIP scholarship online. Guidelines for eligibility, as well as minimum and maximum award amounts are available on the GTIP web site.

Financial Aid Policy

All students enrolled at John Brown University who receive financial aid through JBU or the federal Title IV Assistance Programs must meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements as defined below in order to be eligible for further aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory academic progress is deemed to have been made by a student who meets both the quantitative and qualitative requirements indicated below.

Quantitative Requirements

There are two quantitative requirements that the student must meet in order to remain eligible to apply for financial assistance. First, the student must pass, at a minimum, 67% of the credits attempted while attending the university. Also, the student will remain eligible to apply for aid as long as the number of credits attempted is not more than 150% of the number of credits required for the student's degree.

A transfer student may have earned credits at another school that will count toward his or her degree at JBU. Only transfer credits that apply to the student's degree will count as part of the 150% maximum. 

The determination of each student's meeting the quantitative requirements for satisfactory academic progress will be made annually following the conclusion of the spring semester. If a student fails to pass at least 67% of the credits attempted, has attempted more than 150% of the number of credits required for completion of his or her degree, or has fallen below a cumulative GPA of 2.0, then the student must appeal for reinstatement of financial aid eligibility.

Qualitative Requirements

In order to pass the qualitative requirements, the student must achieve and maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0 (“C” average) or must have an academic standing consistent with JBU’s requirements for graduation.

Appeal Process

If a student does not successfully meet the satisfactory academic progress policy guidelines, the Graduate and Degree Completion Financial Aid Officer will notify the student in writing of their financial aid suspension status. The student may submit a written appeal to the Associate Vice President of Enrollment within 30 days of the time that the student is notified of their suspension. Financial aid eligibility appeals will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office on a case-by-case basis.

If the students appeal is approved, the probationary period only lasts one semester. The student’s satisfactory academic progress is checked upon completion of the probationary period

The financial aid eligibility appeal is a separate process from the Registrar's appeal process for academic suspension. A successful appeal to reinstate a student to the university after academic suspension by the Registrar's Office does not necessarily reinstate a student to the financial aid programs.

Addendum to Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy


Appeal due to mitigating circumstances:

This section of the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy gives some examples where allowances may be made for mitigating circumstances. These examples are not all-inclusive. The committee may allow other mitigating circumstances on a case-by-case basis depending on the merit of the appeal:

Death in the family or death of a close friend.

Serious illness of a family member.

Medical complications or prolonged illness of the student.

Inability to attend classes because of unexpected lack of transportation.

Serious financial problems requiring excessive hours of employment.

How do the following affect Satisfactory Academic Progress determinations?

Withdrawal: a withdrawal ("W") is counted as an attempted class that was not successfully completed

Incomplete: an incomplete ('I') is counted as an attempted class that was not successfully completed.

Repeated course: a repeated course is counted as attempted and successfully completed if a passing grade was earned.

Transfer course: transfer courses are counted as attempted and completed if the course work is applicable to the student's JBU degree. 

Non-credit remedial coursework is not applicable at JBU.

Veterans Administration Benefits

John Brown University is an approved institution for veterans and veterans' beneficiaries training. Veterans, widows, and children of veterans who lost their lives in service, or veterans who are now disabled as a result of service should contact the nearest Veterans Administration Regional Office as far in advance of enrollment date as possible for assistance in securing Veterans Administration benefits. Information regarding this program may be obtained from JBU’s VA Certifying Official at

Google™ Translate: