Helping Students & Alumni Pursue Their Passion
Services for Alumni
Tips for Career Change
Changing your career is an intimidating undertaking. A good resume and cover letter is the first step to showing your future employer that you have the relevant skills and education to fulfill the position. Use the tips below to write your resume and cover letter.
- For specific tips for career changers, see the Career Change Resume Guide
- If you have never written a resume or you need more detailed information, see our resume guide.
- Email us with your resume and other application materials for us to review. We will get back to you within 3 business days. .
Cover Letter Tips
- Be honest. It does you no good to try and hide that you are changing careers. Be open and give them a good and honest reason about why you are changing careers.
- Discuss your transferable skills that you listed in your resume. You have more skills than you realize for your new career. Most employers are looking for people who have good communication, leadership and problem solving skills.
- See the cover letter guide
Help Future JBU Alumni
As you continue to advance in your career, considering partnering with us in mentoring current students in their career development process. This could include being a part of our workshops or events, referring students for jobs and internships, and promoting JBU in your workplace. If you love your company and think it would be a great fit for more JBU students, let us know! We are always looking for more partnerships and positions for our students. Send us an email to let us know how you would like to be involved. Add us on Facebook and LinkedIn to stay connected. Encourage your company to post open positions to our job board or come recruit on campus for positions. (We can set up a promotional table, classroom visit and even student interviews.)