The Dogwood Springs Trail is a great place to walk or jog, but we always urge you to be aware of your surroundings and take safety precautions.
- Jog or walk with a known companion
- Jog or walk in daylight hours
- Do not use headphones, especially if alone
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Know your location in case of an emergency.
- Look people in the eye as you pass them. This lets others know you are aware of their presence.
- Carry a cell phone in case of emergency.
- Vary your route and pattern of running, jogging or walking
- Wear bright colored clothing to improve your visibility
- Keep to the middle of the trail, avoiding bushes where an assailant can hide.
- Notify someone that you are going for a jog, give them an expected return time and check in with them when you are done and let them know you are safe
- Carry a whistle or high decibel personal alarm.
- Consider carrying pepper spray or MACE walking weights (equipped w/ pepper spray)
- If you believe you are being followed get to a well-lit area or group of people as quickly as possible.
- If you encounter a loose dog, stay calm and do not run. Let the dog sniff you while avoiding eye contact. Say "No, go home!" in a low calm voice. Remain still until the dog leaves and back away slowly until it is out of sight. If attacked try to feed it your jacket or other clothing item. If knocked down, curl into a ball and put your hands over ears and face. Try to stay still and quiet.
In the event of an emergency, please call 911.
JBU offers a twice-yearly self-defense class and distributes pepper spray to students as requested. To find out when the next class is, email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have additional questions or concerns about trail safety or campus safety in general, please feel free to contact Scott Wanzer, Director of Campus Safety at email@example.com, or contact the campus safety officer on duty at 479-215-5000.