Morency Named NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (November 8, 2012) — Despite the Golden Eagles' 2012 campaign coming to a close in a 1-0 loss to No. 7 Oklahoma City in the Sooner Athletic Conference tournament semifinals on Monday (Nov. 5), Kristen Morency of John Brown (Ark.) has been named the NAIA National Women's Soccer Defensive Player of the Week.
Joining Morency is Mia Persson of Lindsey Wilson (Ky.), tabbed the NAIA National Women's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week.
Morency and Persson, who are the final weekly award winners for the 2012 season, were selected based on their performances from Oct. 29 - Nov. 4 and were chosen out of a pool of conference/independent/unaffiliated groupings.
Morency, a freshman goalkeeper from Wheaton, Ill., tied a career-high with 11 saves to help lead John Brown to a 1-1 road draw against Rogers State (Okla.) in the quarterfinals of the 2012 Sooner Athletic Conference tournament on Nov. 2. More importantly, Morency stymied two Hillcat shootout attempts, which advanced the Golden Eagles (4-3) into the semifinals. She faced 22 shots and nine corner kicks, holding Rogers State to one goal for only the fifth time this season.
Entering the postseason, Morency boasts a 9-5-1 overall record, 1.05 goals against average and 0.830 save percentage. She also captured an impressive 7.5 shutouts on the 2012 season and ranks No. 44 in the nation in goals-against average (1.050).
Persson, a midfielder from Sjobo, Sweden, scored four goals and registered one assist to move into second place on the Lindsey Wilson all-time career goals (65) and points (154) list. The senior opened the week with a three point (one goal and one assist) effort against then-No. 23 Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) on Oct. 30, before notching her fourth hat trick of 2012 in the Blue Raiders' 5-0 victory against Rio Grande (Ohio) in the Mid-South Conference tournament Opening Round on Nov. 3.
Persson is seventh nationally with 24 goals, while also ranking amongst the top 10 in shots on goal per game (3.39), goals per game (1.33), points (52) and points per game (2.89).
Offensive Nominees: Amber Brown-Longoria, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Britten Fandrich, Tennessee Wesleyan; Stephanie Diaz, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Sara Cushing, Doane (Neb.); Molly Machometa, Viterbo (Wis.); Jordan Dolbin, Baker (Kan.); Tori Singstock, Indiana Tech; Jessica Oliver, Northwest (Wash.); Linda Addo, Science & Arts (Okla.); Esther Anyanwu, Brenau (Ga.); Juneille Watkins, Park (Mo.); Shannon Bennett, Robert Morris (Ill.); Cara Eskenazi, William Jessup (Calif.); Chrissy King, Biola (Calif.); Kirsty Montignani, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Brooklyn Morgan, Spring Arbor (Mich.).
Defensive Nominees: Caitlin Stier, Bellevue (Neb.); Rebekah Valenta, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Kelsey Stark, Doane (Neb.); Mckenzie Guth, Viterbo (Wis.); Michelle Marcus, Davenport (Mich.); Jenna Peterson, Concordia (Ore.); Josephine Frigge, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Mackenzie Little, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Stephanie Burton, Union (Ky.); Elizabeth Campbell, Brenau (Ga.); Ellen Ghirardi, Park (Mo.); Briana Williams, Biola (Calif.); Malin Johansson, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Courtney Harrison, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Kayla Cisneroz, Menlo (Calif.); Bekah Gonzales, Trinity Christian (Ill.).
2012 Women's Soccer Players of the Week (Offensive; Defensive):
- Week 1 (Sept. 4): Kelsey Langille, Cumberland (Tenn.); Indigo Recker, Concordia (Ore.)
- Week 2 (Sept. 11): Jordan Davidson, Vanguard (Calif.); Helena Hansson, Embry-Riddle (Fla.)
- Week 3 (Sept. 18): Kirsty Montignani, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Bekah Garvin, Concordia (Calif.)
- Week 4 (Sept. 25): Kelsey Langille, Cumberland (Tenn.); Mallory Conrad, Bethel (Ind.)
- Week 5 (Oct. 2): Karly Linton, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Katie Zenz, Grand View (Iowa)
- Week 6 (Oct. 9): Mallory Rondeau, Grace (Ind.); Ilyssa Espiritu, The Master's (Calif.)
- Week 7 (Oct. 16): Esther Anyanwu, Brenau (Ga.); Lauren Terry, Vanguard (Calif.)
- Week 8 (Oct. 23): Ashley Correa, Westmont (Calif.); Kristen Fulbright, Northwest Christian (Ore.)
- Week 9 (Oct. 30): Melissa Martinez, Kansas Wesleyan; Becca Skillman, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
- Week 10 (Nov. 6): Mia Persson, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Kristen Morency, John Brown (Ark.)