International Financial Aid
Financing Your Education
JBU does not offer full-tuition or full-ride scholarships for International students. International students are not eligible for any other scholarships.
Scholarship/Financial Aid opportunities for International Students at JBU:
1. International Student Scholarship: JBU offers the International Student Scholarship which ranges from $3,000 to $9,000 per year and is based on financial need. Once the application is complete, students who have financial need will be considered for this scholarship. Academics and student commitment to the mission of JBU are also taken into consideration when awarding. There is no separate application for this scholarship. By completing the International Application process (including the International Student Financial Information Form), you have applied for this scholarship.
Application deadline: March 15, 2016
JBU awards the top scholarships by April 1 so all students interested in the int’l student scholarship must apply by March 15. JBU has a limited amount of funding for int’l students so after April 1, students are awarded based on remaining funds
2. International Work-Study Program: The work-study program is an on-campus job in which students work 7.5 hours per week and can earn up to $1700 per year. Work-study is awarded based on financial need.
3. Athletic scholarships: www.jbu.edu/athletics
*Athletic scholarships cannot be combined with merit-based academic scholarships.
4. Merit-based academic scholarship (must have taken SAT or ACT in order to be considered for these scholarships)
Other Information about financing your education at John Brown University:
Costs for International Students:
See our Costs page.
What are the additional costs to attending JBU (in addition to tuition, room, and board)?
- $200 International and JBU Freshman Orientation Fee (one-time fee)
- $200 SEVIS fee
- $1,988/yr. medical insurance fee
- $600-$800/yr. textbook estimate
- Travel expenses to and from JBU
Paying for JBU:
Most International JBU students are paying their own way or are receiving very substantial sponsorships from family members, organizations, or churches.
Outside scholarships for International students
There are a limited number of outside scholarships for International students to attend university in America. Here is a list of some websites to explore for outside (non-JBU) scholarships:
- Missionary Kid Scholarships are available for students whose parents are missionaries. Some of the scholarships are for non-US citizens.
- NAFSA information
- Abroad Planet Scholarship Resources - an online community of international students studying in the United States.
- College Board - Free online financial aid source for scholarships, grants, and loans for all college-bound students, including permanent residents and international students wishing to study in the United States.
- FastWeb - Free online scholarship search service.
- International Education Financial Aid - Free online scholarship search service designed for international students.
- International Scholarships - Free online scholarship database for international students wishing to study worldwide.
- General International Scholarships - Free online searchable database for scholarships to international students.
- Search for scholarships by region of the world
- Full-ride scholarships for students from Central America - Students from Central America or Mexico (Guatemala, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, Nicaragua, Mexico, and Belize) Walton International Scholarship Program (highly-competitive scholarship program).